Coturnix quail, Nurture Right 360, dry hatch

Annabellarose

Chirping
Aug 6, 2020
London, Kentucky
What do you coturnix quail NR 360 "dry hatchers" do with the vent on the front; shut it, leave it half open, or leave it completely open? What do you do with the red water plug (B); leave it on until lockdown or remove it? Do you change the temperature or do you leave it at the preset 99.5?

What do you coturnix quail NR 360 "dry hatchers" do with the vent on the front; shut it, leave it half open, or leave it completely open? What do you do with the red water plug (B); leave it on until lockdown or remove it? Do you change the temperature or do you leave it at the preset 99.5?
You need to calibrate the internal thermometer and hygrometer. They are usually off by a bit. The temp on mine is 1 degree off, the hygrometer is about 10% off. I had a separate nr360 for 1 hatch, and the new one was not 1 degree off, it was pretty spot on, but the hygrometer was still off by maybe 12-15. Tbh I’m not confident that the nr 360 is airtight enough for a dry hatch, but I guess it depends on the humidity in the room it’s in. The humidity where I live is high, we are swamp adjacent, but I still have to add water to it each morning. I think another factor is that the rolling method of turning is a bit more harsh than the tilting method, and I find my nr360 is much less forgiving than my brinsea ovation. I think having more liquid cushion around them for turning is beneficial.

That being said, I leave my red plugs out all the time or my humidity gets too high, I adjust minor differences with the vent, which is usually 2/3 to all the way closed. If you are going to dry hatch I would keep the plugs in and the vent closed, plenty of air will pass thru the seam where the dome sits, providing ventilation.

You calibrate a thermometer/hygrometer, and match it up to the on screen numbers. I have a few calibrated battery powered ones, and I use those to know what to set mine at. I believe actual calibration of the unit can be done, but only thru tech support.

Back
Top Bottom