Coturnix Weigh-In here at Catawbas Coturnixs LOL

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
I decided to get a good weigh in on EVERYONE here (and clip wings...and see how many I really have lol)::::

White Pen:
Hen: 8 3/4
Hen: 8 3/4
Hen: 7 5/8
Hen: 8 5/8
Big Bertha Hen: 13 1/8
Roo: Enceno: 6 1/2

Golden Pen:
Hen: 9 1/8
Hen: 8 1/4
Hawn Roo (Sams line- best coloring): 12 1/8
Golden Roo (from a diff line): 7

Brown Pen- JUMBOS:
Cricket ROO: 13 3/8
Hen: 10 1/8
Hen: 9 3/8
Hen: 10
Roo: 9 5/8
Hampton: too young to weigh, but he's a roo- MAY be curly gene?? Waiting until it molts into adult before I'm sure about that though
2 jumbo chicks hatched just yesterday

Brown Pen- Pharoahs:
Hen: 7 3/8
Hen: 5 7/8
Hen: 6 3/4
Hen: 6 7/8
Roo: 7 1/2
1 chick too young to tell hatched yesterday

Tibetan Dark/Light & Rosetta (British Range):
Rosetta Roo: 5 7/8
Rosetta Hen: 6 3/4
Dark Tibetan Hen: 8 3/8
Rosetta Hen Rosie:6 1/2
1 chick- sex unknown, and not mature yet to weigh

Tuxedo:
Light Tuxedo Hen: 8
Baby Hen Normal Tux: 6 3/8
Rosetta Tux Roo: 7 1/4
Tibe Tux Roo IKE:5 1/2
Panda- Chick too young to weigh and sex
Paint- Too young to weigh and sex
Skunk- Too young to weigh and sex

38 quails (so far more due to hatch).

Wow you have alot of quail! Can you answer a few questions I have??? Can you tell by looking at a Couternix, if they are male or female?
These 2 seem to have a little spiky beard. You don't see it if you don't look closely. I have a pair of Buttons and 2 Couternix. They are about 12 weeks old. They are not laying eggs or crowing, that I know of. I think I would here them if they did. My friend has 2 Couternix that have been laying eggs everday for the 1 1/2 weeks. They are the same age as mine. How old do they have to be to lay???

sandyj

Quote:
sure i'd love to help!!!

what color are they? (if you're not sure below my picture, you'll see a link that says "my byc page" or something ilke that, click on it and scrool down and you can see all the normally accepted colors and let me know which one it is.
smile.png

If it's a brown, the male has a rusty chest, and the hens have a white/with black spotted chest.

Do you have your birds under lighting? Even just a normal bedroom light, they need to have visual light for atleast 2 weeks and then they will start laying for you (you have to keep the lights on even after they lay). The lights have to be on for 14 hours a day daily. Once you take that away from them they wont lay or call. I am betting anything that your birds arent getting enough light.
smile.png

The males will start crowing when they're in breeding condition, at 6-8 weeks old AS LONG as they have the proper lighting.
smile.png
Outside, coturnix wont start laying naturally until march (mid march) which is coming up soon!
smile.png
But indoors they need a light source near them to visually see it for 14 hours.

you can also hear what coturnix crows sound like on that page of mine.

Looking good. One of my GOLDENS has the best coloring....doooo tell
tongue.png
I will hopefully be producing a lot more of those this year. The way to do it is mixing your Goldens with your Browns. I think that creates a more uniform golden. But will be expirementing with that.
big_smile.png

Hey Monarc,
I looked at your website but only saw chicks, not couternix, but I'm not a computer geneous. They are adorable baby's. One of my birds is brown with a white chest. I'm thinking a tuxedo??? The other is dark brown with black spots. Not really sure if I'd call it golden on the chest. Just darker all around. And your right, I don't have light 14 hours per day, but they are in a window with no shade. So when it starts getting light, there the 1st to see it.

sandyj
OOPPS!! I clicked on your wrong site. Now I see. I'm am now pretty sure the one quail is tuxedo, but its feathering is light brown. The other I'm still not sure.
sandy

Last edited:
Quote:
haha! Hi again Sandy,

well, tuxedo you wont be able to tell until the bird is crowing or laying. As fro the other color sounds ike it's either a brown or a tibetan from what you discribe.

Also as for the birdsbeing near a window that wont do any good if it's not 14 hours a day of light
smile.png
hope this helps! LOL!

This is really interesting - Nice thread
big_smile.png
I'm really suprised by the weights given for coturnix quail .... the American strains seem so much smaller than here in the UK.

Standard Strains (I dont keep anything under 8oz @ 8wks)

Cock birds at optimum culling weight @ 7-8 weeks ... 8 - 8 1/2 oz live
Hen Bird same age 9 - 9 3/4 oz live weight

So called Jumbo/Giant strains (again nothing under 13oz)

Cock birds ... 13 - 13 1/2 oz
Hen Birds .... 13 - 14 1/2 oz

I've heard reports of 16oz birds but I've never seen it my heaviest is 14.5 oz.

Suz

Back
Top Bottom