1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix Weigh-In here at Catawbas Coturnixs LOL

Discussion in 'Quail' started by monarc23, Feb 26, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I decided to get a good weigh in on EVERYONE here (and clip wings...and see how many I really have lol)::::

White Pen:
    Hen: 8 3/4
    Hen: 8 3/4
    Hen: 7 5/8
    Hen: 8 5/8
    Big Bertha Hen: 13 1/8
    Roo: Enceno: 6 1/2

Golden Pen:
    Hen: 9 1/8
    Hen: 8 1/4
    Hawn Roo (Sams line- best coloring): 12 1/8
    Golden Roo (from a diff line): 7

Brown Pen- JUMBOS:
    Cricket ROO: 13 3/8
    Hen: 10 1/8
    Hen: 9 3/8
    Hen: 10
    Roo: 9 5/8
    Hampton: too young to weigh, but he's a roo- MAY be curly gene?? Waiting until it molts into adult before I'm sure about that though
    2 jumbo chicks hatched just yesterday

Brown Pen- Pharoahs:
    Hen: 7 3/8
    Hen: 5 7/8
    Hen: 6 3/4
    Hen: 6 7/8
    Roo: 7 1/2
    1 chick too young to tell hatched yesterday

Tibetan Dark/Light & Rosetta (British Range):
    Rosetta Roo: 5 7/8
    Rosetta Hen: 6 3/4
    Dark Tibetan Hen: 8 3/8
    Rosetta Hen Rosie:6 1/2
    1 chick- sex unknown, and not mature yet to weigh

Tuxedo:
    Light Tuxedo Hen: 8
    Baby Hen Normal Tux: 6 3/8
    Rosetta Tux Roo: 7 1/4
    Tibe Tux Roo IKE:5 1/2
    Panda- Chick too young to weigh and sex
    Paint- Too young to weigh and sex
    Skunk- Too young to weigh and sex

38 quails (so far more due to hatch).

2. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    Wow you have alot of quail! Can you answer a few questions I have??? Can you tell by looking at a Couternix, if they are male or female?
    These 2 seem to have a little spiky beard. You don't see it if you don't look closely. I have a pair of Buttons and 2 Couternix. They are about 12 weeks old. They are not laying eggs or crowing, that I know of. I think I would here them if they did. My friend has 2 Couternix that have been laying eggs everday for the 1 1/2 weeks. They are the same age as mine. How old do they have to be to lay???

sandyj

3. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:sure i'd love to help!!!

what color are they? (if you're not sure below my picture, you'll see a link that says "my byc page" or something ilke that, click on it and scrool down and you can see all the normally accepted colors and let me know which one it is. [​IMG]

If it's a brown, the male has a rusty chest, and the hens have a white/with black spotted chest.

Do you have your birds under lighting? Even just a normal bedroom light, they need to have visual light for atleast 2 weeks and then they will start laying for you (you have to keep the lights on even after they lay). The lights have to be on for 14 hours a day daily. Once you take that away from them they wont lay or call. I am betting anything that your birds arent getting enough light. [​IMG]

The males will start crowing when they're in breeding condition, at 6-8 weeks old AS LONG as they have the proper lighting. [​IMG] Outside, coturnix wont start laying naturally until march (mid march) which is coming up soon! [​IMG] But indoors they need a light source near them to visually see it for 14 hours.

you can also hear what coturnix crows sound like on that page of mine.

4. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Looking good. One of my GOLDENS has the best coloring....doooo tell [​IMG] I will hopefully be producing a lot more of those this year. The way to do it is mixing your Goldens with your Browns. I think that creates a more uniform golden. But will be expirementing with that.
    [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:good thing because I'm going to have to to some extent only have 2 hens right now! LOL!

6. sandyj

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    Hey Monarc,
    I looked at your website but only saw chicks, not couternix, but I'm not a computer geneous. They are adorable baby's. One of my birds is brown with a white chest. I'm thinking a tuxedo??? The other is dark brown with black spots. Not really sure if I'd call it golden on the chest. Just darker all around. And your right, I don't have light 14 hours per day, but they are in a window with no shade. So when it starts getting light, there the 1st to see it.

sandyj
    OOPPS!! I clicked on your wrong site. Now I see. I'm am now pretty sure the one quail is tuxedo, but its feathering is light brown. The other I'm still not sure.
    sandy

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:haha! Hi again Sandy,

well, tuxedo you wont be able to tell until the bird is crowing or laying. As fro the other color sounds ike it's either a brown or a tibetan from what you discribe.

Also as for the birdsbeing near a window that wont do any good if it's not 14 hours a day of light [​IMG] hope this helps! LOL!

8. sandyj

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    Thanks Monarc!![​IMG]
    sandyj

9. Suz658

Suz658 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2009
    Scotland. UK
    This is really interesting - Nice thread [​IMG] I'm really suprised by the weights given for coturnix quail .... the American strains seem so much smaller than here in the UK.

Standard Strains (I dont keep anything under 8oz @ 8wks)

Cock birds at optimum culling weight @ 7-8 weeks ... 8 - 8 1/2 oz live
    Hen Bird same age 9 - 9 3/4 oz live weight

So called Jumbo/Giant strains (again nothing under 13oz)

Cock birds ... 13 - 13 1/2 oz
    Hen Birds .... 13 - 14 1/2 oz

I've heard reports of 16oz birds but I've never seen it my heaviest is 14.5 oz.

Suz

10. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Hey Niki, I got a question myself. Haha

Are those weights in ounces?

Cody!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by