Could a Blue heeler mix be a guard dog?

Mar 4, 2019
Alabama
Our dog had puppies and we were debating on keeping one as guard dog. He would be in the yard/house during the day and in the run/coop at night. The problem is the mom is a blue heeler and I think the dad is the samoyed across the street. I know heelers have a high prey drive and our girl LOVES to chase anything that moves. Would being exposed to the chickens(and ducks) from an extremely early age work or is this a recipe for disaster?

I WANT ONE. Except for the fact that we just got a puppy.......anyways, If Heelers are herders like I'm pretty sure they are, then I'm not sure they'd be great at guarding. They would be able to guard against certain things, but prob. not humans and larger predators. Our Australian Shepard's mom guarded chickens against hawks and coyotes, but I think that's it. However it depends on the dog. I need to see pictures :drool:drool:drool:drool:drool lol

Heelers, in my experience, are great with small animals. If the mother of your dog isn't, and the father is a Samoyed (ie, sled dog, ie, not easy to train) then the puppy probably won't be either, not without good, consistent training.

Do you have the time to put in that training?

EDT: I assume, from combining your post and title, that you meant livestock guard dog. If I was wrong, please correct me.

I WANT ONE. Except for the fact that we just got a puppy.......anyways, If Heelers are herders like I'm pretty sure they are, then I'm not sure they'd be great at guarding. They would be able to guard against certain things, but prob. not humans and larger predators. Our Australian Shepard's mom guarded chickens against hawks and coyotes, but I think that's it. However it depends on the dog. I need to see pictures :drool:drool:drool:drool:drool lol
Foxes are my real concern and their run will be pretty secure on it's on just wanted that extra protection.

Last edited:
20190313_002951.jpg
20190313_002926.jpg
20190313_002713.jpg
20190312_211718.jpg
20190310_153826.jpg
20190310_153633.jpg
20190306_194007.jpg
20190303_084645.jpg
20190304_110341.jpg
The white one I'd the middle of the last picture I call Roo because the black spot looks like a rooster to me.

Heelers, in my experience, are great with small animals. If the mother of your dog isn't, and the father is a Samoyed (ie, sled dog, ie, not easy to train) then the puppy probably won't be either, not without good, consistent training.

Do you have the time to put in that training?

EDT: I assume, from combining your post and title, that you meant livestock guard dog. If I was wrong, please correct me.

Yes livestock guard dog.
Definitely willing to put in the training

Your puppy definitely needs a playmate. My sil also has an Australian shepherd. Beautiful and sweet but a little crazy lol.
If only you were closer.

We had a female blue heeler that was a great chicken guardian... she picked it up very naturally just being raised around chickens... she would even scramble the chickens when a hawk would pass over... I taught her to sit, and shake hands.... everything else she learned on her own.

But I think the key is raising them with the chickens... I made the mistake of picking up a stray or dumped heeler one day and brought her home, and she went straight after a chicken... our heeler made a bee line right at her, hit the other one broadside and rolled her. Ultimately, ours lost the tussle as the stray was larger and older... but she did the job of protecting the chickens. The stray found a new home quickly.

I have no experience with a samoyed though.

We have an australien cattle dog/border collie mix name Miki.
He was trained to be a chicken guardian dog by example and mentoring by our old dog Momo, now passed away. (Australien Shepherd).
Mick is an awesome boy. He is very fast, and watchfull when outside and i plan to always purchase a puppy while my older dog is still able to do the training. Its just the best and easiest way.
Maddies9point- NC 004.JPG

Back
Top Bottom