Could I get a bantam silkie?

Jlee27

Chirping
Sep 15, 2020
Middlesex, New Jersey
I have 2 buff orpingtons, 2 delawares, and 2 black australorps, which are all standard hens. Would I be able to introduce a bantam silkie rooster to the flock, and have the eggs be fertilized? Also, my neighborhood doesn't like rooster crowing, so would a no crow collar work?

Last edited:
Kwik question??? what is your desire to produce bantam sikie crosses with your other LF chickens :idunno
Imagine a bantam silkie mounting your LF chickens, is compared to a Chihuahua mounting a Great Dane.:old,,,, HARD WORKOUT....:gig
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
I want chicks later on, but a LF takes up more space and food, so I felt a bantam would be better. Do they not breed well?

its alright to have 2 rooster to 6 hens?
Depending on the roosters personality. Personally I would get a pair or trio of sillies if you insist on having yhem.

The problem is not all bantam van breed well with large fowl. I have a male between sizes and he isn't able to reach any of the standard girls. They're too tall for him, so you may not even get fertile eggs from the Large ones

I want chicks later on, but a LF takes up more space and food, so I felt a bantam would be better. Do they not breed well?
Get the chickens you desire in the future, rather than thinking of producing your own chickens with a mix of bantam and LF. A mix of large and small will not necessarily produce a medium sized chicken.

Back
Top Bottom