Could I incubate them in my Oven?

<<If you're like us, everything is potentially an incubator!!>>

Shoot, women throughout time have been known to incubate eggs (of various animals) by carrying them between their breasts. But I think you'd be hard-pressed to do more than two or three at a time, LOL.

The problem with an oven is that the 100 degree setting is not an absolute value. The oven will have at least a 5 degree differential, meaning it will heat to 102.5 before it shuts off and then not turn on again until the temp drops to 97.5. The eggs will not like that.
The previous poster mentioned women's breasts, well at least they would provide a stable temperature but a low one. Never heard of that being sucessful.
Best bet is to store your eggs at 60 degrees in high humidity until you get your incubator and set it up and stabilized. I believe older eggs would give better results than the early but fluctuating incubation.

If it has an internal bulb, you could probably keep desired temp with right size bulb and closed door. ovens are vented. humidity would be issue. I sure wouldn`t trust oven thermostat.

My oven stays pretty warm if I just put the light on. Maybe try that and see if it stays warm enough, I'd be scared to actually put it on . I think many have had success with just putting a lamp on their eggs, since it's only a couple days I might try that instead, probably be easier to regulate.

Good luck!

Nancy

I had a friend tell me she used a heating pad. This was before I had an incubator. I thought what the heck I will check this out. I monitored the temp and on low it was 115 which is way too hot. Maybe you could temp your heating pad and see if it stays a stable safe temp. I have heard of the electric skillet and a crock pot. I temped these too and they were to hot. But check yours, it just may work! Good Luck!

My best friend was telling me last night that when she was a kid, they incubated some eggs on top of the hot water heater. When the chicks started pipping, they held them in their hands for the rest of the zip and hatch.

Wouldn't recommend the hand hatching, but interesting to hatch them on top of the hot water heater.

Would I be better to just leave them in the bator with the ones I am hatching? I could take all of the turner racks out except for the 2 that these eggs are in, and lay the rest on their sides or in egg cartons to hatch. The temp would stay steady, but the humidity will be higher. Which one is the bigger risk, the oven or bator with high humidity?

I do have a rack in the oven with a pan of water and it is running at the 100* (digitally set, not a knob), I will let it run for a bit and see check what the temp and humidity are running at.

I suppose anything is possible but I personally would not attempt to incubate in my oven. I would think the temperature flucuations would be too inconsistent for a good end result - that and trying to maintain humidity.

But hey - if that's all you have - go for it. Worst case scenario - it won't work. Best case scenario - you have chicks to show for your experimental efforts!

I don't see why not? There was someone on here a few weeks ago talking about hatching eggs in her armpit? ooooer!? lol

Back
Top Bottom