Could my EE have turned in to a boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chamelle, May 28, 2008.

1. Chamelle

Chamelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Seriously, all of a sudden I turned around and DeeDee looks like a roo! I have never had any question about her sex until yesterday when it seems like her comb doubled in size and its just soo............ RED!

She/he is 9 weeks old. Lots of my other 9 week old pullets are starting to get larger combs and are getting a little redder as well.

I'm wondering what you all think, is this normal development for her age, or is she a he? I have RIR and a BO roos, and they have been obvious since around 4 and 5 weeks.

The other thing I noticed today is a couple of feathers in her tail turning a pretty iridescent black/green. I don't know if that's significant, but I thought I remembered someone else talking about iridescent feathers so I thought I should mention it. I don't really see it in the photos.

I did look at her back and no sign of saddle feathers.

In the first pic her color is a little overly saturated, the second photo shows a better idea of her true color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isn't she lovely? err... he?

[​IMG]

pullet pullet [​IMG] pullet pullet

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Looks like a cockerel...

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Lol!! Lol!! If 'she's' a roo, 'she's' always been a roo, you know??? Didn't just "turn into one" yesterday!!! That cracks me up-- so funny!!! But, hey-- I get goofy at 4am.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I am thinking Roo. Sorry [​IMG]
    But he will be beautiful

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    with a comb that red its a roo for sure.

6. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    This is mine at 2 years, his comb still not very big. They take a little longer.

[​IMG]

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    WOW that is one RED comb! lol I hope she is a she but I have my doubts. Could be..I hear that EE pullets will get redder combs earlier then other breeds [​IMG] Maybe she is a she! Keep fingers crossed! [​IMG]

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:That is one GORGEOUS rooster!

9. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Thank you we love him to pieces. Son named him Roosa

10. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    I knew my EE rooster was a roo but his comb didn't turn red until after all the other breed roos that I have had turned red. The Silverlaced Wyandotte turned at three weeks. I call him Rudolph.

This is my EE roo called Flame.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by