Could my rooster have had a stroke?

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
My two-year old SLW roo, Stan, was on his perch and the rest of the flock was just filing in to roost for the night. All of a sudden I heard frantic flapping!

I turned and looked at Stan, and he was tilted to one side, one wing straight up, and the other wing flapping for all it was worth! He was pitched forward, and his comb was half grey-blue!

I snatched him off his perch and placed him on the floor. He lowered himself to a crouch and put his head down. I grabbed him and walked around a bit with him, and his comb really looked awful - kind of sooty, not bright red as it usually is.

I put him on the ground and encouraged him to walk around, and he seemed dazed at first, then regained his usual jaunty profile. His comb reddened back up, too.

Could he have had a stroke?

I tried the "search" and came up with nothing. I'm wondering if I hadn't been there when it happened, I may have found him dead on the floor under his perch in the morning, and would have wondered what could have possibly killed him!

He seemed fine afterwards, and jumped back up on his perch for the night just as if nothing had happened!

sounds like it... What are you feeding him??? or a heart attack.

Well, Stan seems fine this morning. I wonder if being present when he had his attack kept him alive. Maybe getting him out and moving about right away got his circulation going and if it was a clot, it was able to pass harmlessly on through his system.

Does anyone know if giving a baby aspirin each day would be okay? Maybe a half a baby aspirin? I love Stan and would hate to lose him. He's my only roo, and he has perfect manners due to constant attention to his "training and conditioning"!

Back
Top Bottom