Could some one tell me what kind of berries these are?

Mulberry trees are the bane of my existence. The birds scatter the seeds and I have mulberry trees growing in every single one of my flowerbeds. If you don't pull the seedlings when they are small, they are hard to get rid of. I hope you enjoy the berries though.

How long until the trees are mature enough to start setting berries?
Ang, you could mail some of them to me if you want to REALLy get rid of them
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Ok I'm back after I read everyone's answer. Now I know why my chickens run to that tree every time I let them out in the morning. I didn't know if we could eat them. The tree is about 40 feet tall. I guess I can made jam this week.
wee.gif
I will have to try and put something down like a blanket and shake it for all I'm worth. I better not let the chickens out until I try. Can I take the berry's and plant them to get smaller trees. Maybe I could keep them trimed and made a bush? Thanks for all your help.

A note about putting netting over the trees: A local grocery store did that to keep poopy birds out of their landscape trees, and songbirds and migrant birds kept getting trapped in the netting and dying. It was a disaster, for the birds and for the store, since it got in the news and people got upset.

My parents farm always had mulberry bushes & trees. This time of year was always my favorite because they were just starting to ripen. At my current house, mulberries would always sprout up in the most inconvenient places, usually weaving themselves into my chainlink fence(darn birds!). Last week, I was very pleased to discover that one of our rental properties has a full-fledged mulberry tree. I can't wait! The berries are almost ripe. I've never made anything like jam or jelly out of them though...I tend to eat them as soon as they are washed!

Mulberries! They're all over my Texas neighborhood! My chickens love them! And the dark, ripe ones are good on ice cream!

Back
Top Bottom