Could someone help with the color and gender of these EEs?

I figured that #2 and #3 were roosters because they are the definition of flashy, but the last two confused me because they seemed dull to me -- but I have never dealt with roos before, either. Had hens for three years but was always pressured to not get a rooster.

I noticed on #4 this morning the beginnings of pretty orange saddle feathers so yep. ;(

I want to keep one, which I'd like to use for breeding so I can keep a self-sufficient flock. If any of you had to choose the roo to keep, what would you look for and out of these four which would you choose? Do you choose by conformation, color, personality, other defining features?

Last edited:
Temperament first, always. If you're aggressive, I don't care how pretty you are, or what lines you come from. If you're mean to the hens, at all aggressive to people, or otherwise cause any strife/stress/dissension in the flock, you go. Harmony reigns here!

After that, it depends on what you're wanting to breed. With your flock I'm thinking you'll want blue/green egg laying offspring. Sadly, roosters won't pop out an egg to let us know what color genes they carry
tongue.png
so we have to resort to science. In Easter eggers, the pea comb gene is closely related to the blue egg gene, I've heard a pea comb bird has a 97% chance of being a colored egg layer. So, I'd eleminate any straight combed or mixed looking roosters. Two of your boys look to have straight combs, but the photos aren't the best so you'll just have to judge that for yourself.

You're not breeding for any other real criteria, with these parent stocks, so after that, I'd say just choose who you like best.

At about what age is it a good time to assess their adult temperaments? I've heard 6mo to a year? Aaaand will babying them and frequent handling at this age (nine weeks) make any difference once the testosterone kicks in?

Here's some close-ups of their little faces.

Mostly friendly and can be caught easy, super curious and always under my feet but doesn't like to be picked up. About middle in the pecking order right now, doesn't like to start anything. Real mellow and calm, doesn't scare easy, and a big talker. Kind of an in-your-face puppy dog. I love the color and personality and consider him a keeper at this stage, IF someone thinks that is a pea comb and that he might be a blue egg producer.

Pretty friendly, a little harder to approach but doesn't run away all panicky and will settle for being held for a little bit. Definitely top chicken, already showing interest in "protecting" the little pullets when I pick them up and they pip and peep in protest. He'll run over and then it's like he doesn't know what to do. Favorite color but second pick for temperament.

I think he's the lowest on the pecking order, he backs off for everyone, even the pullets. Hates any kind of confrontation at all and will run away screaming, lol. Hard to catch but when you do he is the ULTIMATE love bug and will just melt down into a feathery puddle of sugar and sweetness. I'm not as keen on his color and wattles, really wanted a beardy (which SUCKS as it looks like my only pullet doesn't have one!). So, first for personality and last for looks.

I don't think he would be one for breeding though because it appears he has some "deformities" I wouldn't want passed onto offspring. I freaked out thinking that he had broken a toe one day but then noticed a few days later that the other inside toe was also wonky. None of the others are doing it so I'm not sure if it wound up being genetic or that he broke them some how. His eyes are also huge compared to any of the others. I always thought his face was weird looking, and then noticed just how big his eyes were.

BUT I reckon that may change as they get older, it just depends on what you guys have to say about EE roo temperaments?

THANKS so much and sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
+1 for not considering breeding a bird with defects!

As far as temperament, it just depends on what you're looking for. Myself, I don't want a pet rooster. I don't want to handle him, I don't want him to get within arm's reach of me in fact. I want him to maintain a respectful distance, that's my comfort zone. My thinking is roosters raised being handled and cuddled develop an attitude of not respecting people, and later want to be dominant over said people. Roosters raised to keep their distance from the start always seem to understand humans are not to be messed with and never even challenge me. I consider roosters to be livestock, not pets, and treat them as such. All my livestock learns at an early age to respect the personal space of the human
smile.png

Obviously, "good temperament" is defined by the individual flock owner and you will have to decide what you consider "good temperament" for your birds. For me personally, a good tempered chicken is one that is not aggressive toward other chickens (I'm not speaking of normal pecking order issues which occur with all breeds in all flocks) or people and is not too objectionable to being handled by people. That being said, I have become very utilitarian in my approach to chickens over the years and currently only have breeds that lay well (with a few Easter Eggers thrown into the mix because my granddaughter loves the colored eggs).

Back
Top Bottom