could someone post a pic of a red sex link? are they good for laying?

Chicken_Addict

Songster
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
Kellyville Oklahoma
im thinking abt hatching some red sex liks starting them this weekend is this a good choice for laying hens? any info on them and pics would be appreciated thanks
smile.png

Here is a picture of mostly Red Star Sex Link pullet chicks.
e4c5e5be.jpg

Here is a picture of 5 month old Red Star Sex Link pullets. I started getting eggs from these when they were 4 months old. These are the result of a Rhode Island Red rooster over Delaware hens. They lay a very large egg in varying shades of brown.
IM000419.jpg

My experience with them has been great. I even put a RIR rooster with these hens & hatched a lot of chicks. They are also great layers & very pretty hens. I don't have any picures of this cross right now. If it ever quits raining here, I can get some pictures of them. I still have a few of them. We raise & sell a lot of chickens here.

I keep the Red Star Sex Links for egg production, since I sell a lot of eggs also.

I hope this helps you.

Jean

VERY PRETTY!! thanks for sharig if i can talk hubby into buying an incubator this weekend i am gonna start some eggs
smile.png
what do i need to look for in an incubator anything special?

The only ones I have used is a styrofoam one, hatches 48 eggs... don't remember the brand, & a GQF cabinet incubator that hatches around 280 - 300 eggs depending on egg size.

I had pretty good luck with the stryrofoam one, but it wasn't big enough, so we got 2 of the GQF ones.

Someone else who has used some different ones could probably help you more with that question.

The one thing I can tell you is that one with a forced air fan is better. And a turner is really handy.

Jean

Here is a picture of the chicks we hatched over the weekend. Do you think they are red stars? They look a lot like the picture Jean posted. I thought the black ones were a mistake, but mine look like the ones in that picture. What do you guys think?

100_5940.jpg

hooked2,

What are the parents of your chicks?
Mine didn't have such dark stripes & didn't have stripes on their heads.

My black ones are black sex link chicks. The buff colored ones are the red star sex link female chicks. There were a few other breeds in the chick pic also. Just mostly red stars pullets.

I sent you an email with more info.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom