Could this be an ALBINO silkie?!! *pics included* :)

Yes, definitely a silkie cross. Most telltale sign is it's feet not black and orange beak. Please keep posting pics of this little one! I'll be so curious to see what it grows into!

The beak color, foot color, skin color are all linked signs of the bird just plain not having dark pigmentation as a Silkie should. It doesn't entirely mean the chick isn't a purebred Silkie, however its fluff coloring is what gives me the red flag. The rest are a normal white coloration - (having an ashy grey color as a chick) Your light colored one has a lot of red on it, almost like it has gold columbian, buff, mahogany red, or something else in there.

Is there any change that your hen stole someone else's egg? Mine have done that
smile.png

Quote:
Yes! It could also be a partridge x white silkie's egg, I was suspecting that since all the others looked so different. The comb is normal (just checked) as well
smile.png

Been some messin' around going on there. I'm betting that "silky" will grow up to be normal feathered indicating a cross; therefore, no extremely rare spontaneous mutation.

Does any one else see a Rose Comb on the father.
Silkies should have a Walnut Comb.

Walnut Comb Description:
A solid, moderately broad comb resulting from the combination of two dominant alleles for the Rose (R) and Pea (P) comb, with a surface that shows some furrowing reminiscent of a walnut half.

Rose Comb:
A solid, broad, nearly flat on top, low fleshly comb, Top surface of the main part should be slightly convex and studded with small rounded protuberances. General shape varies in different breeds.

With the Rooster (the father) having a Rose type Comb I would say that he is not a pure Silkie.

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom