Could this be over matting? Or something else?

NikkiC399

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
It seems all my whyandottes have a band of missing feathers along their heads. This one is the worst looking. Could this be overmatting or someting else. They are in an enclosed coop. Lots of room. And enclosed hardwire run fresh water and food daily. Acv and vitamins once a month. Treats once a day. Very well taken care of

Attachments

• 2FFADA4E-F85B-4729-9256-C7F613C5B1F6.jpeg
    2FFADA4E-F85B-4729-9256-C7F613C5B1F6.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 15
Thank you. I just had to put a matting saddle on one of our buffs because of matting issues. Lol i only have 1 rooster to 15 hens. Boy does he get around
I'm going to suspect that we are discussing a cockerel here. If a mature ROOSTER is causing that much damage to 15 ladies.. he need to be moved on.. :smack Do you mind sharing his (their) age and is he Wyandotte also?

Otherwise you might consider kenneling him for a time out ( next to and in sight of) while the ladies recover a bit and he gains some maturity and hormones level out some.

Most broken feathers will NOT be replaced until molt. So you may not see immediate improvement with your saddles.. but they should protect the skin under neath. Saddles are a good option when needed but not truly a desirable (long term) choice.. for the hen.

Are you planning to hatch some chicks, just like roosters.. or have any specific reason for keeping him? Just curious, knowing YOUR reason helps me make more appropriate recommendations.. :pop

I'm going to suspect that we are discussing a cockerel here. If a mature ROOSTER is causing that much damage to 15 ladies.. he need to be moved on.. :smack Do you mind sharing his (their) age and is he Wyandotte also?

Otherwise you might consider kenneling him for a time out ( next to and in sight of) while the ladies recover a bit and he gains some maturity and hormones level out some.

Most broken feathers will NOT be replaced until molt. So you may not see immediate improvement with your saddles.. but they should protect the skin under neath. Saddles are a good option when needed but not truly a desirable (long term) choice.. for the hen.

Are you planning to hatch some chicks, just like roosters.. or have any specific reason for keeping him? Just curious, knowing YOUR reason helps me make more appropriate recommendations.. :pop
I ended up with three roosters when they were all supposed to be hens soo i gave two away but was writer attached to hank and he’sa god boy. Loving. Kind and doesnt fight us. So we kept him and yes we plan of hatching eggs in the spring. He may just need a time out for a bit. They were all raised together by myself at 2 weeks old when we got them they are now 8 months old

I ended up with three roosters when they were all supposed to be hens soo i gave two away but was writer attached to hank and he’sa god boy. Loving. Kind and doesnt fight us. So we kept him and yes we plan of hatching eggs in the spring. He may just need a time out for a bit. They were all raised together by myself at 2 weeks old when we got them they are now 8 months old
Not writer sorry lol

Need a link to this product, please.
https://www.amazon.com/tralasume-Headwear-Suitable-Chickens-Poultry/dp/B07W599XJS

they are now 8 months old
At least his age does help account for some of the over activity. Hopefully it will level off! Time out is just ONE idea.

I have also considered a game cock tie out.. where the ladies can visit when desired but stay out of reach if they choose. Some still visit and enjoy his company very much. Other's wouldn't give the time of day and only squat because they have no other choice.

What's funny is people and suggesting the ratios they(we) do.. you have 15-1.. allegedly about the best ratio possible and clear signs of excessive mating. I have a ratio of 3-2 at the same age, Bielefelder.. with NO over mating at all! Also my lavender Wyandotte.. age 6 months currently.. 3 pullets and 3 cockerels.. and NO over mating.. Enough cannot be said about individual behavior! And though many worry about competitive mating.. and I have seen that.. what I often see is the opposite and having another male, a little more testosterone around helps tone down that frisky fella and give him something else to focus on besides just spreading the love around. HE then has to do things to win over the ladies and convince them he is the better choice. So we try our best, according to the information we have and then watch the chickens show us that they don't read our books or care what we THINK we've figured out! :gig

I'd love to see a photo Hank! ;)

Back
Top Bottom