Countdown to Baby Chicks 2023 edition

Following for future pictures! We don't have anything like the hatcheries you guys have here in Australia, ours only offer meat chickens and commercial hybrids and they can't be sent through the post. Some feed stores have chicks but again mostly the hybrids with a few other breeds scattered through privately owned stores.
So how do you all get chicks? Private parties? Or you have to settle for hybrids?

So how do you all get chicks? Private parties? Or you have to settle for hybrids?
Some privately owned feed stores will get a few different breeds in from their own birds or people sell their chicks to them for re-sale. Usually though you need to track down a breeder of what you want and pick them up yourself or settle for posted eggs. Eggs can go through our postal system but you need to hire a pet transport company that services your area for live birds, which can be pricy especially the further you go

Some privately owned feed stores will get a few different breeds in from their own birds or people sell their chicks to them for re-sale. Usually though you need to track down a breeder of what you want and pick them up yourself or settle for posted eggs. Eggs can go through our postal system but you need to hire a pet transport company that services your area for live birds, which can be pricy especially the further you go
Wow, that can really limit what you’re able to get then. Do you have a lot options in your area?

There were some disastrous consequences for many chicks that were shipped via our postal service not too long ago so I can understand not allowing live chicks. I’ve had fair luck with it when I’ve ordered before so I’m hoping for the best. Shipped eggs not so much, only those that were shipped within my state were viable when I got them.

I have ordered 10 chicks from Ideal Poultry, scheduled to ship on March 22nd. All females - 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Speckled Sussex, and 2 Welsummer. Looking forward to the end of March! We are in the process of finishing a new coop that will house the 3 chickens we already have and eventually the new additions.

I have ordered 10 chicks from Ideal Poultry, scheduled to ship on March 22nd. All females - 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Speckled Sussex, and 2 Welsummer. Looking forward to the end of March! We are in the process of finishing a new coop that will house the 3 chickens we already have and eventually the new additions.
That will be a pretty basket and a friendly group! Speckled Sussex are my personal favorite & DS loves Orpingtons best!

Back
Top Bottom