Countdown to Baby Chicks 2023 edition

Pics
Considering doing the same on a small scale this year. Basically selling off the ones I buy to avoid a small order fee. Any tips for IDing good breeds to purchase, setting price points, etc?
That’s what we did! We ordered 18, but are splitting 10 with a family member. I will list the extra 8 chicks on craigslist for what I paid, and if they don’t sell right away, will sell them at 6-8 weeks as pullets of heat. Thinking they will go fast because of the egg market.

I just received 25 Cornish Rocks from Welp Hatchery. OMG they are so cute!!! I"m going to enjoy the heck out them for the next two months. All but one made it through safely and they are hopping about. Also I have 23 of my own eggs (RIR x PBB and RIR x SGE) set to hatch starting tomorrow, so this will be fun!!! It will be interesting to see the size difference increase as the CX grow.

This was my favorite thread last year! Once you place a 2023 order, post the details! We can pass the time together! Once you get your new babies, let us know and post pics!

Where did you order from?

What did you order?

When will they hatch/how many weeks or months left?

I know it’s early…but I put 2 orders in for June next year already! 😂 I will live vicariously through all of you who get chicks long before that. School lets out here in June, so we get them when the kids (and teacher parents) can spend all day doting on them!
Meyer Hatchery.

I am rebuilding my flock after a dog attack left me with my roo and one surviving hen. I have a small coop rn tho- so I can’t go crazy like I want 🤣

But my babies arriving in may are 2 buff brahmas (one for me one for my mom), 2 blue Cochins (1forme1formom), a frizzle for my husband lol, and a black fibro Easter egger.

I really want some black polishes (I live in a hawk polluted area and my chickens “free range” so I am adding mostly black hens to my flock for protection) but they weren’t available until July 💔😩

So once the local feed store gets them in- we will get them there and if availability allows, I will also be adding a French Pearl Guinea Fowl to my flock as added protection for those roaming hawks 👀

Have you had the brabanters or welbars before? If so, thoughts? Considering an order that includes both those breeds, which are new to me.
Brabanter is one of my favorites. Over the years they have been very good layers of medium white eggs on top of being super cool looking. They are small bodied and are excellent fliers. Mine liked to roost 10' straight up in the barn rafters. Type is all over the place and you can end up with more of a spangled Polish or Appenzeller but that is how they have resurrected the breed. Up to us to improve it.

Back
Top Bottom