Countdown to Baby Chicks 2023 edition

Pics
I got to this thread late, but I'm ordering just a few (9) from Ideal, here in Texas. I'm buying Barred Rocks, Welsummers, and Grey Stars (a hybrid of barred rock and blue Andalusian). The scheduled hatch is March 1, with delivery on March 3.

I'm building a new coop, it's a bit larger, so that I can have 12-15 or so hens. I'll keep 6 of the pullets and my current 5 hens. Next year I expect to add a few more. The third year I'll add some, and cull any of my original hens that have stopped laying. My current small coop is going to my daughter and granddaughter where they will keep 3-4 hens in town.

I got to this thread late, but I'm ordering just a few (9) from Ideal, here in Texas. I'm buying Barred Rocks, Welsummers, and Grey Stars (a hybrid of barred rock and blue Andalusian). The scheduled hatch is March 1, with delivery on March 3.

I'm building a new coop, it's a bit larger, so that I can have 12-15 or so hens. I'll keep 6 of the pullets and my current 5 hens. Next year I expect to add a few more. The third year I'll add some, and cull any of my original hens that have stopped laying. My current small coop is going to my daughter and granddaughter where they will keep 3-4 hens in town.
didn't you hatch last year? thought it was you.

I knew your granddaughter was a chicken lady in the making last year when you hatched with/for her! 😊

Yes, had a decent hatch. I have mixes, though, and decided to try some other varieties to give my flock more "variety". With my rooster being a mix, anything I hatch from my eggs will definitely be a barnyard mix.
ok makes sense. I thought you were in our hatch along. pretty much anything I hatch is a mix since I only have a Cochin Roo and then my project (Cochin/EE) Roo. I do have 5 (I think) Cochins now so could get pure Cochins but would never be sure who the dad was...... Then I have a mix of other breeds. I ordered hatching eggs again this year to add some other colors and breeds (think only adding Orpingtons but then other variations of colors of Brahmas which I have brahmas but not those colors).

ok makes sense. I thought you were in our hatch along. pretty much anything I hatch is a mix since I only have a Cochin Roo and then my project (Cochin/EE) Roo. I do have 5 (I think) Cochins now so could get pure Cochins but would never be sure who the dad was...... Then I have a mix of other breeds. I ordered hatching eggs again this year to add some other colors and breeds (think only adding Orpingtons but then other variations of colors of Brahmas which I have brahmas but not those colors).

Next year I may also hatch from my two Cream Legbars and my hybrid Legbar/RIR. My roo is a legbar/RIR cross so it would be interesting to see what would happen. I don't really understand ALL the underlying genetics (which traits are dominant, partial domanant, etc.) but it seems like I could get Legbars, RIRs, or more Legbar/RIR crosses.

This was my favorite thread last year! Once you place a 2023 order, post the details! We can pass the time together! Once you get your new babies, let us know and post pics!

Where did you order from?

What did you order?

When will they hatch/how many weeks or months left?

I know it’s early…but I put 2 orders in for June next year already! 😂 I will live vicariously through all of you who get chicks long before that. School lets out here in June, so we get them when the kids (and teacher parents) can spend all day doting on them!

Attachments

• 6L1A5983.jpg
    6L1A5983.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 5
I ordered from...eBAY! Hatching eggs...yea I know. Here's what's coming in the next week or so:

• Dominiques
  • Golden Comets
  • Polish
  • Silkies
  • Ayam Cemanis

And if I win the bid:

• Wheaten Ameracaunas
  • Wheaten Marans

You really never can have too many chickens....
Good luck!!!!!!!!!! I tried a few from ebay..... had horrible luck with 2 (one wasn't the breed I requested but at least got 2 to hatch and 1 I got zero to hatch or develop.......) BUT then I found the BEST breeder on ebay and got eggs from her twice and had 28/34 hatch!!!! I am getting another 18 from her in a couple weeks and can't wait!!!!!!!

Next year I may also hatch from my two Cream Legbars and my hybrid Legbar/RIR. My roo is a legbar/RIR cross so it would be interesting to see what would happen. I don't really understand ALL the underlying genetics (which traits are dominant, partial domanant, etc.) but it seems like I could get Legbars, RIRs, or more Legbar/RIR crosses.
oh how fun!!!!!! I know nothing about genetics really besides 2 blues can give you blue, black and splash. haahaa!

I am hoping my CCL starts laying and that my project Cochin mates with her. I would LOVE to hatch some of their babies to see 1 what they look like and 2 what color eggs the babies would lay since my Roo hatched from a green egg, and the CCL should (I haven't had luck with mine laying colors. LOL) lay pretty blue eggs..... LOL

Back
Top Bottom