County fairs and buying adult chickens?

chicamama

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Topanga Ca
So, later this summer we have the HUGE Los Angeles county Faire.

LOADS of chickens on display and it will be SO FUN to walk around and see all the breeds.

Usually, toward the last weekend, some exhibitors sell. Am I crazy to consider bringing a few (adult) models of chickens home? Or, better to get the baby versions, keep em' separate from my older hens? I'm looking to add some of the more ornamental breeds.

If you bring home any birds, quarantine! Even if you just go to look, after I got home I'd send my clothes to the laundry and disinfect my shoes. You can never be too careful.

Your other option, is to use the fair to make contact with breeders that could sell you hatching eggs, chicks or adults, later.

That's how we got into chickens in the first place!! Fell in love with them at the fair, but ordered our own day-olds from a hatchery instead. I'd be leery about buying older birds because of disease, but I have a friend who adds to his flock from the fair every year. If you are vigilant about quaranteening (and cleaning your shoes etc) then give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom