Couple behavior questions

jmb52

Songster
May 4, 2021
Indiana
I have 5 pullets who are 14 weeks old (first time mama hen here). They have a partially covered but completely hardware-clothed run that’s 184 sq ft and access to under the 8x6 coop. I do need to put more things in the run for entertainment, but I’m finding that they spend almost all of their time hiding in the dark under the coop. It makes me kind of sad, because I feel like they’re not being active except for during supervised free range time. The coop and run are tucked into a wooded area that is shaded. Is this normal behavior for their age, or could there be something displeasing about the run? Also, they were pretty social up to around 10 weeks old, but I was out of town quite a bit in July and have noticed they are much less friendly now. Could this change be a teenager thing? Thanks everyone!
D6DF6EDD-20A1-432B-AB86-7E0BB02ED9CF.jpeg
3BD9C03E-1072-41D4-A137-32B438370C38.jpeg

Retreating from the heat was also my first thought.

But do get some clutter into the run so that it doesn't make them feel exposed in a barren environment. Chickens are creatures of the forest floor so a wide-open space isn't a natural environment for them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/#post-21588636
Thanks so much for the link! I put a few things in this weekend and they have already been out and about more this morning! I want to plant a bush or small tree if I can figure out what might survive them (and not be harmful to them).

Back
Top Bottom