Coyote-Proof Coop

emalin

Songster
7 Years
Jan 12, 2014
Sierra Nevada Foothills, California
Hi,
We plan to start a small flock this year. Unfortunately, our rural neighborhood is home to enormous and very aggressive coyotes that have decimated ALL of our neighbors' flocks. They actually tear the walls off the coops. When I tell anyone about our plan to raise chickens, I get a "good luck" look followed by horror stories. I'm wondering if a chain-link cage with a coop inside it sounds like a reasonable solution. We have a toddler so would like to avoid hot wire/electric fences if possible. Any other ideas? Thanks!

On the electric, I highly recommend it. You could just turn it on at night and off during the daytime. You could even set it up on a timer in case you forget. If an animal gets on that one time they usually won't do it a second time.

I would build a coop like Fort Knoxx, even if it was a small one. I use chainlink dog pens for a couple of my pens. I think it would keep a coyote from going through it but you have to also worry about them going over or under. You would either need to bury something like wire straight down at least a foot (further would be better) or lay it on top of the ground fastened down all the way around the pen. On the top you could use something like 2X4 inch welded wire. Just whatever you do, DO NOT use hex shaped "chicken wire". About any predator can tear right through it. Another thing you might want to consider is putting "hardware cloth" around the bottom of the pen so coons can't reach in and grab your birds. They will do that! Somewhere on here I saw a coop that was built to keep bears out. The people went to a carpet store and bought the wood strips with nails in it that is used to lay carpet on. They nailed those strips on their coop to discourage bears from tearing the coop apart. I'm sure that would work for coyotes too because it would tear their mouth and paws up if they tried to break in.

That's just some ideas for you. Good luck!

Hi,
We plan to start a small flock this year. Unfortunately, our rural neighborhood is home to enormous and very aggressive coyotes that have decimated ALL of our neighbors' flocks. They actually tear the walls off the coops. When I tell anyone about our plan to raise chickens, I get a "good luck" look followed by horror stories. I'm wondering if a chain-link cage with a coop inside it sounds like a reasonable solution. We have a toddler so would like to avoid hot wire/electric fences if possible. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Alright I have coyotes where I live and I had to put up Chain-link fencing to keep them out and
it has worked just fine for 14 years but the bobcat still get in and from time to time little dogs and
a few house cats ....
Bottom line after the big fence I still need to put them in a coop with widows with heave screens ..

gander007
old.gif

i would just put some kind of strong wire around the coop its self it works for me i m using some kind of cow wire i also use some thing else to keep them out put up bright light around the coop or in it that keep them away from the duck pen i have 2 coops both things work for me

I live in southwest Colorado and we have a many bears come through our yard. I built my chicken coop to withstand bears by trimming it with tack strip used for carpeting your floors. They will try to literally rip the sheeting off the coop, but the tack strip deters them by poking their paws with countless miniature spikes. I bought a box of 100 4' long strips and used all of them. It looks pretty Medieval, but it works, and you can paint them. We use this method to deter them from our trash shed, it has been 100% successful. Good luck to you!

I use dog kennel panels they are designed for Canines. you can put your coop inside

Electric fence is a very good option because when the predator gets a shock they learn that your fences bite.

Chainlink is not Raccoon proof though anywhere your chickens might roost or get close to the wire you chould line it with hardware cloth. I had racoons behead a buNch of guineas one night...

Also if you think you might have diggers its a good idea to build a skirt around the base.

deb

Chain link and electric that said as the other poster said has there been any help from the towns in regards to such a population? If they are as aggressive as you say i'd be more worried about children and such, are they possibly coyote/dog mixes? those are nasty and a massive threat.

down here where i live you have to take care of them you self i have a coyote on my back porch and in my front yard

The above are all good suggestions, based on experience. If you or your neighbors are so inclined, you may want to check with your DNR to see if coyotes can be hunted. In Ohio there is no closed season and no bag limit. I am more of a live and let live kind of person and so do not pursue that as an option, but I thought that I'd put that out there in case it might be of interest to you.

Back
Top Bottom