Coyote Trapping ***WARNING-graphic pics inside-WARNING***

I wish someone wanted coon out here. I got 6 in a month and then that may have been it so far as nothing else has gotten trapped in 4 months. Just a matter of time before new ones come in. (city coons)

I called a few places and they were like, just toss it. I wanted to get this one big one pelted out and preserved, but was quoted 75-80 for just one! They told me just go buy one already done.

Oddly... two I trapped of the 6 had no tails. Just nubs.

I think it is always good to get educated about trapping so if you do it you do it right!

Edit: A very good thing to see and mention in the first post that it is NOT legal in ALL areas. Rules in other contries ARE different than the one's in the US. Don't always assume that actons done are from people in this country when they are posted. Everyone must look up their LOCAL laws and regulations before action is taken.

At least 3-5 million fur-bearing animals are trapped annually in Canada, primarily for their skins (pelts), although occasionally for bait and for human, dog and wild animal food. Because of its economic and cultural importance to those who make their living by trapping, and because of the concern for the suffering of the animals, trapping has become a contentious issue.

The practice of trapping in Canada is older than the country itself. Aboriginals trapped for centuries before European explorers arrived on the continent, and many of Canada’s cities began as trading posts.

Fur trapping has become increasingly regulated in Canada. The practice falls under the provincial/territorial jurisdictions and all trappers are required to take training courses in their province before they are licensed. This ensures they know and understand the regulations for trapping in Canada and are knowledgeable about the most recent developments and requirements in humane traps and trapping methods.

It is illegal to trap without a license, except for farmers trapping on their own land and Aboriginal people whose trapping rights fall under their Treaty or land claim agreements. Trappers are required to carry their license when trapping.

I talked with a fella about 2 months ago from SC and he told me they get more for the coon meat down there than they do the pelts.
I said to him That's just something. Here people wouldn't even think of eating them in pa today....I know i wouldn't eat coons or any trappable fur bearing critters. i know many years ago they did eat them here as my grandfather told me they ate what was put on the table or you didn't eat at all.

now big game and turkey hunting o ya, with all the contaminated meet and treatment of animals in the market i prefer home raised or hunted.
Its the only way to go...
charlie
tea.gif

heres my bobcat skinned out

Its a bad job on the skinning , because he was frozen ,then i skinned him out missed a big piece of his stomache area but still looks kewl.

Picture501.jpg

I'm curious about leg trapping- I hunt, but have never trapped. Do you bait these, or just set them in an area the predators are likely to pass through? Also, does anyone know of a good site with instructions on skinning/preserving? I've never skinned anything with the intention of keeping the skin, so have no idea how to do it. I live in the woods, so I'm betting trapping predators could be a nice side hobby to keeping chickens!

Jaku, I only use leg hold traps for foxes and coyotes (purely vermin removal), though I've recently had a bit of luck with snares.

Just a couple of links: The first is to the pred. section of YukuBYC (read the stickys about hay sets and steel traps - that was what got me started). The second is probably more what you'll be looking for.

http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/forums/71/t/Predators-and-Pests.html

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Handling-Trapping-Predator-Hunting/dp/B00095M4OG

I can say, from experience, that decreasing the overall frequency of predation, by preemptive suppression, is not a bad investment of time and effort. Your Dept. of Conservation should have info on trapping regs. and might have info. on the prices of furbearers as well.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom