Coyotes now know.. that I own birds.

Sirenic

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 14, 2012
I heard a squak from my geese while I was eating my subway..

Ran outside and there was a coyote right in my back yard, and I froze right there and he stood there frozen too.. Until I ran after him yelling haha.

he then put his tail between his legs and ran away.. nothing went missing but just that he was so brave to come right in the back yard! AND to top it off, my doberman and weiner dog were nowhere to be seen because they were in the shade sleeping! haha..

Anyways, now that the young coyote is brave enough to walk in my yard.. do you think I scared the living crap out of him for awhile? Really wish I had gotten my gun but I wasn't expecting a coyote to be within range of at least 10 ft away from me!

Counted all my 40 free range birds, none were missing!

I'm afraid that it is just a matter of time. Keep your gun at hand and be careful with your dachshund. The coyote will not hesitate to take a small dog. Good luck at resolving this.

Thanks.

Yeah I lock him up at night in the barn just like I do with the birds..

When will the coyote gain courage to come back? Darn this coyote. I've had birds since may 16th and nothing!

-Matt

Heard them louder then ever tonight.

We were on vaca for about 4 days, so I think the coyotes set up camp while we were gone.

Thats going to change ;)

I've had coyotes come into my yard as well. I ended up having to put a wire fence up at the edge of my yard. I have ducks, chickens and guineas. I've seen the guineas go over to the fence hollering their heads off. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it, but after they ran a fox and a coyote off, I put some guineas in the flight pen with my bantam ducks.

There is nothing more eery than the sounds that a pack of coyotes make when they're in the area. Last year they would make their rounds every couple of days about this time but so far this year there have been no signs of them. Hopefully, they have moved on.
frow.gif

We have them here all the time. A week ago, one was in our yard, headed right toward the pasture at 7:30 am. Usually they are gone in hiding by that time in the morning, and we only hear them at night. This one was super brazen, and my husband and I both ran out yelling and it just looked at us. We started waving our arms and yelling more, and it finally turned and sauntered off. This morning, I let my irish wolfhound out to potty, and I was out calling him back in, and the coyote started making all kinds of sounds in my neighbor's front yard. I could hear him moving, and was slightly alarmed because it was still dark out. My IW came back from the pasture, so he was not near the coyote, and I quickly grabbed his collar and we went inside. My coop is super tight, and a coyote can not get in, but I make sure the chickens are in before dark, and I don't let them out until around 8 am.

We live right next to some woods, the only chicken we lost from a coyote was a polish, she wandered into the forest and never came back... we found her feathers =/.

We have two huge black labs, so they never come close. We used to hear them all the time but we don't anymore. The only problem we have is a cat that lives in the forest/the house on the other side. It comes into our yard... we saw it last week. Luckily our dogs chase it! IF that cat got one of my chickens... oh those neighbors would be in for it!!!! We also have eagles/hawks who fly above our house, they've never landed though.

Now that they know you have chickens they need to learn you can shoot.
Skin the SOB and nail the hide to a tree near where they enter your yard.
Be mean or get picked clean.

Back
Top Bottom