Crack in beak on both sides, can see straight through other side

JPyers

Chirping
May 14, 2018
Vallejo, California
Hi there,

My 2.5 year old hen, MC Henner, has developed this crack in her beak on both sides over the past few weeks to a month and it seems to be getting larger. I can now see through from one side to the other. I have no idea how it started, she hasn't been ill at all and eating, drinking, laying, and acting completely normal. It doesn't seem to bother her at all, but I haven't ever seen a beak do this before. My other two ladies beaks are totally normal and everyone is happy as can be with the new warmer weather.

I have included some photos below ( I know, she has quite the evil stare🤣, but she is the sweetest chicken I have) and let me know if you have any info/recommendations or if this has happened to your chicken before. Thanks so much in advance and look forward to your comments!

8ea0869d-ea5e-4a2b-a3de-1d4952201bdb.jpg
72b79ecd-6b6f-4fe0-b4a1-ac313957a58e.jpg
04db1898-662a-4225-9e81-659e3fddc6f8.jpg

All the best,
MC Henner

@Eggcessive
@sourland
@azygous

Have you guys seen anything like this before?
No, and I'm not quite certain about what to do without having the bird in hand. It would be tempting to trim the tip of the beak, but am afraid that would cause more damage. Bird appears to be in great condition, and I'd assure that continues to be able to eat.

Hi there,

My 2.5 year old hen, MC Henner, has developed this crack in her beak on both sides over the past few weeks to a month and it seems to be getting larger. I can now see through from one side to the other. I have no idea how it started, she hasn't been ill at all and eating, drinking, laying, and acting completely normal. It doesn't seem to bother her at all, but I haven't ever seen a beak do this before. My other two ladies beaks are totally normal and everyone is happy as can be with the new warmer weather.

I have included some photos below ( I know, she has quite the evil stare🤣, but she is the sweetest chicken I have) and let me know if you have any info/recommendations or if this has happened to your chicken before. Thanks so much in advance and look forward to your comments!

View attachment 2610937View attachment 2610938View attachment 2610939

All the best,
MC Henner
That's Very strange indeed. Almost looks like another layer on top of the upper beak but as you say, it's probably a crack.
Only thing I'm wondering is wether it would affect the ability for the hen to drink.

Yeah, @sourland, I thought that same thing, but way too nervous it might cause it to crack more.

She is drinking normally, the inside of her mouth is normal too, but just seems to be the top of the beak (above the quick i think) which split in two...it does look a little pink between the slit new the end of the beak. Super odd!

Thanks everyone for your comments/thoughts!

I would try to figure out how she first injured her beak, in case there is some wire fencing that she is poking it through or hurting herself. Some people recommend using an empty tea bag and superglue to repair a broken beak. Ideally, a vet or avian vet would be the best one to treat a broken beak. Since the cracks are up to the end, I would be concerned. Feeding a wet mash replenished several times a day to keep it wet and fresh, would be helpful to make sure that she is getting enough to eat. Also keep some dry crumbles inna deeper container as well. Here is an article about beak repair:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/repairing-chickens-broken-beak/

Back
Top Bottom