cracked an egg under my broody :( SOOOO sad.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by browncattleco, Sep 3, 2013.

1. browncattleco

browncattleco Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    So I was trying to place some straw under my broodyand one ofthe eggs rolled and smashed on one side. Its just the hard shell that is smashed, but within minutes the hen rolled it and dented the smashed part in against another egg, but still not breaking any menbrane. I'm pretty sure if I leave it she will pop it all over the others, and I don't have an incubator. So I probably have to make the hard decision to let it go to sleep. What else can I do? I tried the wax repair but the damage is too much.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I would say the damage is probably too much. I don't generally try that hard to repair them but maybe someone else has an idea.

3. browncattleco

Aug 28, 2013
    So do I just set it out to let it go cold to die then? I feel terrible and don't want it to suffer.

4. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Well how far along is it? I have acreage so I throw mine far out where I can't see whether it was fertile or not.

5. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    [​IMG] Dump wax all over hole and wait it out the egg may survive

6. browncattleco

Aug 28, 2013
    I think the hen will squish it or I would put it back. Its 9 or 10days and alive....

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It seems to me you have two choices. Maybe three, if you have an incubator. You can: put wax on the hole and give it back to the hen and take your chances. Or, try to repair the hole and incubate it and take your chances. Or, dispose of the egg and concentrate on the others when they hatch. You are the only one who can decide which choice to make.

8. browncattleco

Aug 28, 2013
    I made the choice to let it go. After all I didn't even expect them to get this far. It was an experiment to see if my hen would hatch some eggs that an older feller gave me from his black copper marans. The egg that cracked was from a blue copper which I own 2 blue hens and a splash roo so I can get more of them. If it was one of the blacks I would probably have cried ad there are only 5.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by