1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cracked egg using wax to seal it

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pw_quiltworks, Mar 1, 2009.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Today I took the eggs out of the egg turner. I sort of missed one and it fell out and cracked on the top and a little egg white came out. I really don't want to lose the egg so dh suggested using wax to seal it. Course my idea was duc tape!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Have any of you tried wax? Is there anything else I might try? Sadly I think it will not hatch. It's due in three days. I really want the egg to hatch it's an EE. I don't give a rats behind about the rest of them. Burns me even more that I have dropped three and lost them. [​IMG] One of those was an EE too. [​IMG] Do I have any chance of it hatching?

2. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think so. Wax would seal up the pores, make it more difficult for the chicks to hatch, and keep humidity and air from reaching your babies.

I'm sorry about your eggs! [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I used the wax, just seal up the crack. But my egg didnt have any white leaking out.

4. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:He sealed just the crack itself. I am not too hopeful. Will post if it hatches.

5. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I use a piece of tape, clear or masking, over any cracks and it seems to work just fine. I'm afraid that dripping hot wax on the egg would injure the developing chick.

Kathy in Texas

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone on her told me to use clear nail polish. I have 2 that where cracked in shipment and have wonderful veining and do to hatch next week.
    Best of luck.

7. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Please post what happens. That is a great idea. I would never have thought of nail polish. I wonder if the chick will get high. [​IMG] just kidding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by