Cracked Egg?

Poyo'sMama

Songster
11 Years
Jun 2, 2008
Francestown, NH
Hi All,
Today is Day 17 on my hatch and all the eggs are developing nicely. I have a cracked egg though, not leaking sticky stuff, so the membrane is not broken and the chick is moving in the shell, I can see it! After tomorrow I'm closing the 'bator for 3 days...anyone have experience with this and have the egg hatch out? I hate to break it and see a live baby but I also hate to leave a potentially bad egg in the incubator too. Any suggestions or help? And no, it doesn't smell, first thing I checked, no smell, no sticky egg stuff on shell.
Thanks!
Barb

yea it is better to use a softer wax, like melting a candle over the egg if it is a small crack you can use a birthday candle they work good, the crayon was just a quick fix not knowing how big the crack was

Poyo'sMama :

Hi All,
Today is Day 17 on my hatch and all the eggs are developing nicely. I have a cracked egg though, not leaking sticky stuff, so the membrane is not broken and the chick is moving in the shell, I can see it! After tomorrow I'm closing the 'bator for 3 days...anyone have experience with this and have the egg hatch out? I hate to break it and see a live baby but I also hate to leave a potentially bad egg in the incubator too. Any suggestions or help? And no, it doesn't smell, first thing I checked, no smell, no sticky egg stuff on shell.
Thanks!
Barb

You said your on day 17, when did you notice the crack? Is there a chance that you just might have an "early bird"? Pun intended!!
gig.gif

Hello, I am new to the forum, because of an 'emergency'. A cracked egg- which is why I'm posting in this older thread.

Two of my children are incubating eggs for our science fair project. [they are 10 and 8 yrs old] We rented the incubator and eggs from a local farm. After we keep the chicks as long as we want, we can give everything back. A great deal for us 'city folks.' This is our FIRST TIME hatching eggs. We have 18. We are only 1 week into it. They have 2 more weeks to go. We have candled several and they look like they are suppose to. [even wiggling around!] We have 4 green/blue eggs and they have been near impossible to candle w/ our current lamp set up. [but the white ones work great]. We are hand turning the eggs 3x each day.

This morning, one was dropped [just from the hand to the wire in the incubator, so not very far] but it cracked. Before I searched on here for answers, I quickly covered the crack w/ scotch tape. Now I am afraid removing the tape will make it worse, so I don't think I'll try the wax after all. I tried to candle it w/ our lamp, but because of it's color- it's hard to see. I would like to keep track of it- to check for infection and so if it dies I can remove it, but if it continues to survive, we'll keep it. We have 2 weeks to go. Any ideas on candling dark eggs?

Another site said to spray grapefruit seed extract diluted w/ water on the eggs/incubator to keep down bacterial infection of the cracked egg. Though I wouldn't want to kill anything beneficial either. . .

Any advice?

blessings,

deborah

Back
Top Bottom