Cracked eggs, again!

Chickrockette

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2017
hi there! First time incubating eggs of any sort! I searched high and low in the wonderful cracked eggs thread but couldn't find an answer to this question: anyone have success sealing up a crack that had liquid emanating from it? I realise that means the membrane was pierced so wondered if it was a lost cause - I sealed it (tiny dent about 2mmx3mm) with beeswax anyway just in case. Unfortunately it's an olive egger, so nearly impossible to see anything (esp as it is only day 4). This happened on day 2. Looking forward to some wisdom from the experts! :D

welcome to backyard chickens! I use nail polish, but when you put it on turn the egg upsidedown or the nail polish will go into the crack. happy hatching!!!
welcome-byc.gif

I haven't had much luck with cracked eggs. I've heard of wax, nail polish and a few others I can't remember at the moment. I've tried top coat nail polish.

The one that sticks out the most and makes sense (at least to me) is the clear bandage that you paint on to a cut to seal it. On one of the last hatch-a-longs someone mentioned that it worked well. I will probably try this one myself next time. Hopefully this gives a couple of options to try.

And yes...
welcome-byc.gif
I didn't notice your post count until after I posted...lol! Glad you joined us!
frow.gif

What type of eggs are you incubating, other than the olive egger?
yippiechickie.gif

Gemma 24,

Thank you so much! I used beeswax already, and didn't think about turning the egg upside down. I'll remember this if I ever have to do repairs again!

Last edited:
And yes...
welcome-byc.gif
I didn't notice your post count until after I posted...lol! Glad you joined us!
frow.gif

What type of eggs are you incubating, other than the olive egger?
yippiechickie.gif
Thank you! :):). All mine came together from one farmer, and they are a variety of eggs, so the chicken store proprieter thought they were all easter eggers. I kind of like the mystery! three are whitish, there were two lavender(ish), one of which broke, four olive, three light brownish pink. I am actually prepping to do it as a project with the assisted living place where my mom used to live and where I still volunteer. Wanted to do a batch by myself to make sure I didn't F it up with the residents.

It sounds like you have quite an assortment of eggs! That'll be exciting when they hatch! It's hard to say exactly what they'll be. They could be EEs...or maybe the farmer had more than one breed? Many of us keep a variety assortment..lol.

Please keep us updated and post some pics when the chicks have hatched!
jumpy.gif

That's a really nice project to do for them in addition to volunteering.. I'm sure they'll love the chicks!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom