Craned neck/head?

newpylong

Chirping
Apr 22, 2019
Went to close the flock up tonight and one Orpington was not in with the rest (never happens). She was crouched with her head at a weird angle. She got up and walked over to the coop ramp slowly but could not make it up. She kept angling her head far to one side or the other or even backwards. She did not seem in pain but there is something obviously wrong. See picture - her head returns to normal off and on but then returns to a wacky angle eventually. I brought her in the garage for the night.

Head/neck injury or something else?

Attachments

• 20200220_184616.jpg
    20200220_184616.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
She probably has wry neck or torticolis. It is a neurological symptom, sometimes seen in head or neck injuries, a vitmain E or B1 deficiency, and also seen in certain infectious diseases, such as Mareks and others.

She may need help eating and drinking. She might need to be separated temporily if the others are hurting her. I would give a 400 IU capsule of vitamin E, and some chick vitamins or B complex that has B1 thiamine. A little cooked egg has selenium which helps to use the E. Here is a video of feeding:

She probably has wry neck or torticolis. It is a neurological symptom, sometimes seen in head or neck injuries, a vitmain E or B1 deficiency, and also seen in certain infectious diseases, such as Mareks and others.

She may need help eating and drinking. She might need to be separated temporily if the others are hurting her. I would give a 400 IU capsule of vitamin E, and some chick vitamins or B complex that has B1 thiamine. A little cooked egg has selenium which helps to use the E. Here is a video of feeding:

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom