Cranky Momma Hen

JennAndHens

Songster
May 4, 2021
Someone gave me a Silkie hen in September and told me that he flock had been killed by a predator, she was the only survivor. She was a hot mess, pretty dirty and looked like she'd been overbred. Of course, she turned out to be broody, too. So, I cleaned her up and got her some eggs to hatch. She was a cranky girl the who three weeks, but a great little mamma hen. She's pecked at me the whole time, but never hard enough to break skin or even hurt very much at all, just enough to let me know she wants to be left alone. Of course, I still gently snuggled her. :)

She feathered in beautfully, he babes are 7 weeks old and happy chicks. But after weeks of being the most loving momma, my cranky hen now pecks at the babies and they're afraid of her. They're almost her size, but will run from her. She doesn't peck hard enough to draw blood, but comes away with a beak full of feathers. The chicks won't go near her.

I'm getting ready to move them all outside and am worried that she'll keep them from food and water, or worse, a heat source at night (about 40 degrees here) while I wean them from heat to get used to the cold.

Any suggestions? Does she want to be a lone hen and need her own space?

Photos of Miss Dutch hatching her babies and this week on a solo trip outside to soak up some sun. 😊💖

Attachments

• IMG_3893.JPG
    IMG_3893.JPG
    659 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4294.JPG
    IMG_4294.JPG
    676.1 KB · Views: 5
Someone gave me a Silkie hen in September and told me that he flock had been killed by a predator, she was the only survivor. She was a hot mess, pretty dirty and looked like she'd been overbred. Of course, she turned out to be broody, too. So, I cleaned her up and got her some eggs to hatch. She was a cranky girl the who three weeks, but a great little mamma hen. She's pecked at me the whole time, but never hard enough to break skin or even hurt very much at all, just enough to let me know she wants to be left alone. Of course, I still gently snuggled her. :)

She feathered in beautfully, he babes are 7 weeks old and happy chicks. But after weeks of being the most loving momma, my cranky hen now pecks at the babies and they're afraid of her. They're almost her size, but will run from her. She doesn't peck hard enough to draw blood, but comes away with a beak full of feathers. The chicks won't go near her.

I'm getting ready to move them all outside and am worried that she'll keep them from food and water, or worse, a heat source at night (about 40 degrees here) while I wean them from heat to get used to the cold.

Any suggestions? Does she want to be a lone hen and need her own space?

Photos of Miss Dutch hatching her babies and this week on a solo trip outside to soak up some sun. 😊💖
So cute!

Back
Top Bottom