Crazy chicken ladies

Liz new

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
california
We just got our first little babies! They are about 7 wks old, and everyone already thinks we are crazy or wierd " They are just chickens" NO! They are my babies:) When I started this little venture ( we only have 7 so far) little did I know how I would fall in love with these fun little creatures, they all have there own personality, I can watch them for hours, in fact I hardly watch tv anymore and am going to feel so sad when they are old enough to be outside all day by themselves.

A good lounge chair will work. Just be warned the chickens may take over the chair.

Don't feel bad about them getting bigger. I felt the same way. When I look at them now almost all grown up I feel a sense of pride. I will sit out on the kids slide ans they come up tonne looking for treats. My silkes let me hold them. And now when have baby turkeys.

when I was still working, my co-workers all called me the Chicken Lady, and would sometimes add, "Youre crazy!" in a fond tone. They never put the words together, but I wouldn't have minded.

Unril one HAS chickens, and actually observes them doing their chicken antics, folks just don't get it. I surely didn't expect each bird to have a different personality! Mature chickens are even more interesting than chicks. Chicks are adorable, doing the scratch dance just like the Big Chickens, flinging themselves to the ground to catch some sun on one spread wing, falling asleep in the darnedest positions.... They're even cute escaping the brooder.

Adult chickens are hysterically funny sometimes. Whenever I see one walking rapidly somewhere, I say out loud, "Chicken on a mission.". There are few things funnier than watching a fluffy hen run, especially from the rear.

I AM a chicken-crazed lady. ;)

ok, i was always considered eccentric although a few of the older women here did have lambs or goat kids in their houses in the past , when doing so was part of farming, nowadays its considered almost as bad if not worse then NOT WASHING YOUR FLOORS ON THURSDAYS AND MAKING A CAKE FOR FRIDAY DINNER.... howver, since i dont do either of thsoe things either, so obviously raising chickens in the house was par for the course.

my kids (adults actually) love to show me off as the eccentric mother.... all their friends get warned before hand that 'MY MOTHER HAS A CHICKEN LIVING IN THE HOUSE BUT DONT WORRY SHE'S REALLY NICE (the chicken,that is)....
my kids had to get used to various and sundry wierd foodstuffs in the fridge (for wild rescue falcons, snakes, and various types of bottles of milk for infant gazelles or nubian ibexes), and strange baby animals walking around the house (ibexes, goat kids, porcupine babies) , but having a permanent (at the moment) hen named goldie living next to the freezer, between the shelves that hold ALL THE IMPORTANT PAPERS FOLIO, is considered extreme.

alhtough i have to admit, my eldest daughter's previous boss, a zoo caretaker, did have tiger cubs and monkey infants at various times in his house, for bottle feeding etc so we are not alone in our strangeness, just rare.
so when i say to my girlfriends that i 'have to take goldie out for a graze', they ask if they can join us to watch her.. they like to see her pecking and digging, they find it calming, beautiful, rustic, and ow my next door neighbhro is thinking of having, if not house hens, back yard chickens. (her father is a professional battery coop owner, now retired, and raising ;yard chickens, so she is used to them.)...

Aha! Flushed out another member with a house chicken!

I only intended to have ONE House Chicken, my WCB Polish rooster, Jack. He was a special needs fella, having been out in the flock for his first year, but rescued three times from horrible flock pecking or when he did poorly in cold, rainy weather. Finally, I just decided to keep him inside.

Before he passed, I was offered a silkie hen which had also been pecked on and bullied in two previous small flocks. She is a permanent house chicken (except for her daily dust baths or scratch time in the garden). She went broody and I let her hatch four chicks. They are outside chickens now which <I><*cough*></I> come in to sleep inside the house at night. Sparkle has just hatched four more chicks.... These are from mixed flock eggs, as her eggs are not fertile.

Three other hens come into the house every day to lay their eggs in a bin formerly used for brooding purchased or incubator-hatched chicks. I have to go out to the coop to gather other eggs, but not these girls' eggs. Oh darn, huh? :lol:

My cat and two small dogs are used to having a chicken snuggle up next ro them on a special blanket on the back of the sofa. I covered the coffee table with a plastic tablecloth and set a one-step stool on it. This is perfect for roosting in front of the TV set.

Crazy, but not scary crazy, that's what I am. (This isn't scary, is it!?!? Eccentric.)

Back
Top Bottom