Crazy gun toting neighbour and his dogs

When we lived in town, a lot of people let their dogs run free at night. The "dog catcher" was part of the local "Good Ol' Boys" club so he'd pick them up when I complained about them harassing my rabbits, but the next night, they'd be back. I finally got out my pellet gun and started "pinging" the pack leaders in their hind quarters. No injuries, but the "bite" of the pellet gun convinced them to leave my rabbits alone. One of my neighbors here has dogs and has told me right up front that if any of his dogs get on my property, PLEASE hit them with a pellet gun to teach them to stay away. Pellets sting like the dickens but unless it's a tiny dog, they won't really injure the dog. And they're a LOT cheaper than electric fence!!!!!

Good luck, and congrats on the new baby!
How can you complain about the man shooting if you consider using a pellet gun yourself? For all you know, he’s firing a pellet gun!? Right?

So, we’re moving onto my partners Mums property. I’ve ordered a heavy duty dog run for a temporary fix and I’ve got a small coop already that will suffice. Here’s my problem:

we’ll be out on the far side of the property next to an old war veteran who is literally bonkers.He shoots his gun all day everyday and he’s now decided to let his dogs roam free.. meaning they come onto her Mums property and harass her chooks and ducks and dogs and will eat the chooks if they have the chance. They’ve already killed quite a few animals... The man can not be spoken to and WILL NOT tie his dogs up. I’m going to wire the top and bottom of my cages but I’ve got some nice show birds and I don’t want to risk it. We can’t really call council because the neighbor can have a go at her Mum for things If he really wanted to be an ass.. which he is. We also have a new baby and our dog and I don’t want to be afraid and confined in my house. They’re apparently crazy cattle dogs and you “shouldn’t even get close to them”. I love all animals and I don’t want to do anything like trap and relocate or bait.. but with the man being a lunatic, talking like civilised people isn’t an option either. Like I’m concerned about my chooks but at this point they’re so nuts I have to worry about my family’s safety as well. Any advice?
John use the tactic that use on bears put rubber pellets in a shotgun and shoot the dogs. It will not hurt them but it will give a mob your property

How can you complain about the man shooting if you consider using a pellet gun yourself? For all you know, he’s firing a pellet gun!? Right?

I think you must have misunderstood. I didn't complain about anyone using a gun, pellet or otherwise.
Also, it's apparent that you have not had any exposure to guns yourself to be able to know that a pellet gun uses only compressed air to propel the pellet, not gun powder to propel a bullet, so there is no loud bang that can be heard for long distances.
A bullet can cause serious injury regardless of where it hits a person or animal.
A round pellet, on the other hand, will generally only cause a bruise - unless it hits something like the eye.

1. He was there first. Its up to you to find some accommodation. Put your preconceived notions aside for a minute, and stop assuming his is an irredeemable horror show. Breath.

2. Drop off a "Hi, I'm your new neighbor" box with baked goods, maybe some jam and a good sized bottle of whisky. Include PICTURES of you and the BABY and your prize BIRDS, and a letter kindly introducing yourselves. And maybe at the end hint you are afraid of the dogs.

3. Let him think on that for two or three weeks and he'll go into solutions mode on his own if you don't push him. Push him and he'll push back.

4. Old guys are like cats. If you run after then, they run away. Sit still and they come to you, slowly.

While is totally agree with most of what you said, being there first does not give a person the right to let their animals run wild and threaten/injure/kill people or animals that move in later. Animal owners are ALWAYS responsible for the actions of their animals, regardless of who was there first.
That being said, suggestions 2 & 3 are excellent, but I'd still have a good fence, a solid coop, and keep the pellet gun handy.

I think Chickenclaude was considering my post about the potential for using a pellet gun ironic in terms of the original poster's discomfort with the neighbor's shooting to be ironic.

Personally, I do not classify pellet guns on anything near the same level as bullet guns, but apparently Chickenclaude sees them the same.

I think Chickenclaude was considering my post about the potential for using a pellet gun ironic in terms of the original poster's discomfort with the neighbor's shooting to be ironic.

Personally, I do not classify pellet guns on anything near the same level as bullet guns, but apparently Chickenclaude sees them the same.

That makes sense!! Although later the OP said they don’t have a problem with guns, just this guy haha and I agree, I don’t think a pellet gun is the same at all. BB maybe more similar because that could definitely do some damage at a high enough velocity but even those are not loud. I don’t think they’re the same at all. My brothers and their friends used to play with them all the time and run around shooting each other 😂

When we lived in town, a lot of people let their dogs run free at night. The "dog catcher" was part of the local "Good Ol' Boys" club so he'd pick them up when I complained about them harassing my rabbits, but the next night, they'd be back. I finally got out my pellet gun and started "pinging" the pack leaders in their hind quarters. No injuries, but the "bite" of the pellet gun convinced them to leave my rabbits alone. One of my neighbors here has dogs and has told me right up front that if any of his dogs get on my property, PLEASE hit them with a pellet gun to teach them to stay away. Pellets sting like the dickens but unless it's a tiny dog, they won't really injure the dog. And they're a LOT cheaper than electric fence!!!!!

Good luck, and congrats on the new baby!
Had a neighbor growing up that the air pumped bb/pellet rifles he used whole peppercorns instead of bb's (same size)and it just has to get under skin of nuicance dog and burn his arse enough he won't forget soon and give a wide birth of your property and birds from his fanny burning experience..
May be more memorable than electricity because it's the gift that keeps giving for days instead of just a moment.

By the sounds of it, If i were you i would take about 1/3 or 1/2 of an acre around the back or side of the house and have it fenced in. It's a shame to cut off so much but it would give you peice of mind and decent space to live. Fenced and gated.
I had another neighbor who had all these goats and sheep and a horse and didn't live at the property and didn't take care of them. He didn't have good fences, either, and would let them run on our property. We called animal control so many times, but he didn't do anything. So for several months, when they'd run over to my place, I'd wait and catch them and trap them in the coop and call animal control and they'd take them away. Eventually, I'd caught and delivered all, like, thirty of them to animal control. He got so many citations for not taking care of them but didn't do anything. He never seemed upset that I had caught and taken all his animals away.
:he

Constructing a strong, predator-proof coop and run is always your best bet. I may draw criticism for this, but if I have constructed such a coop and run, i.e., taken all reasonable measures, and something like an untrained dog still comes on my land and tries to get my birds, I believe in the 3 S's: shoot, shovel, shut up. Untrained, unruly unsupervised dogs are varmints and vermin, not to mention dangerous. Some may say it's only a dog doing what a dog naturally does, but the same can be said for a mosquito. I don't know anyone who wouldn't swat one!
:clap

Back
Top Bottom