Crazy hatching attempt

The towels are there because it wouldn't heat up without insulation. My friend kept hers in a Styrofoam box.
If it's dual pane window... temp drop probably won't be an issue, but sun shining in might be.

In my bathroom, the humidity and temp fluctuate quite a bit when people shower especially. You might consider putting a larger cardboard box around yours or just wherever you think is the most temperature stable location. For me it's an inside wall, the corner of my living room and not directly above or below a heater vent. Some folks have used a hall closet.

I MUST use towels (unused fluffy pajammies) on my bators to get them up to temp as well, especially the first year when I kept my house at 58. These days I've been keeping it set at 64. Summer hatching is basic no go as the windows stay open and house temp swings about 10 degrees or more daily. Both weird and great how it can be different strokes for different folks! When I did live in So Cal, would've been a different story as AC ran constantly and rarely ever heated the place but air quality was so bad windows stayed shut even on nice days... It's important NOT to cover or block your fresh air holes. I have also heard of someone overheating their "brain" and having to replace it... so I do take the precaution of uncovering that area if possible. I would probably wrap the side better... and make sure the turner is turning all the way.

The one I had like that... to many temp variations throughout the whole thing...The insulation should help and moving eggs to a new location inside daily MIGHT help. When I used mine as a double decker, made it worse. But, no problem working with what ya got and making the best of it... especially when it didn't cost ya. :thumbsup

Marans eggs and blue ones can be especially difficult to see into when candling. Doing it in a very dark space can help. My cell phone flashlight works quite well actually. I hold it to the fat end and try to see the air cell mostly. Sometimes I am able to make out veins and such. Lighter eggs are so much more fun to candle... what kinda rooster ya got already? Candling is not my strong suit but I would start looking... well, I'm gonna say day 7... :gig more like 5 really. Anyways, practice it and have fun! You really don't have to worry TOO much about them cooling off as long as you aren't doing it excessively often or slow. Remember a mama would leave them for about 10 minutes once or twice per day depending on how harsh the weather. :cool: I guess the main thing is be careful not to drop them!!

One of my favorite hatching resources with lots of fantastic information..
Incubation guide
Some old timers claim NOT the best or over complicated. I think it's a great starting point and as you expand your experience, understanding, and knowledge you may be able to tweak things a TAD better in your favor... I guess the whole dark egg, lower humidity is a good example, as well as don't believe everything you read!

Some of us won't help chicks hatch while others do. You've already started off showing that you WILL go against the grain and try stuff! :bun

Hope you tag me so I can see your results. There are lot's of hatch alongs that you might join as well. I have unexpectedly sat eggs or planned a cool hatch date like new years. Getting new life is just so much fun! Happy chickeneering. :wee

If it's dual pane window... temp drop probably won't be an issue, but sun shining in might be.

In my bathroom, the humidity and temp fluctuate quite a bit when people shower especially. You might consider putting a larger cardboard box around yours or just wherever you think is the most temperature stable location. For me it's an inside wall, the corner of my living room and not directly above or below a heater vent. Some folks have used a hall closet.

I MUST use towels (unused fluffy pajammies) on my bators to get them up to temp as well, especially the first year when I kept my house at 58. These days I've been keeping it set at 64. Summer hatching is basic no go as the windows stay open and house temp swings about 10 degrees or more daily. Both weird and great how it can be different strokes for different folks! When I did live in So Cal, would've been a different story as AC ran constantly and rarely ever heated the place but air quality was so bad windows stayed shut even on nice days... It's important NOT to cover or block your fresh air holes. I have also heard of someone overheating their "brain" and having to replace it... so I do take the precaution of uncovering that area if possible. I would probably wrap the side better... and make sure the turner is turning all the way.

The one I had like that... to many temp variations throughout the whole thing...The insulation should help and moving eggs to a new location inside daily MIGHT help. When I used mine as a double decker, made it worse. But, no problem working with what ya got and making the best of it... especially when it didn't cost ya. :thumbsup

Marans eggs and blue ones can be especially difficult to see into when candling. Doing it in a very dark space can help. My cell phone flashlight works quite well actually. I hold it to the fat end and try to see the air cell mostly. Sometimes I am able to make out veins and such. Lighter eggs are so much more fun to candle... what kinda rooster ya got already? Candling is not my strong suit but I would start looking... well, I'm gonna say day 7... :gig more like 5 really. Anyways, practice it and have fun! You really don't have to worry TOO much about them cooling off as long as you aren't doing it excessively often or slow. Remember a mama would leave them for about 10 minutes once or twice per day depending on how harsh the weather. :cool: I guess the main thing is be careful not to drop them!!

One of my favorite hatching resources with lots of fantastic information..
Incubation guide
Some old timers claim NOT the best or over complicated. I think it's a great starting point and as you expand your experience, understanding, and knowledge you may be able to tweak things a TAD better in your favor... I guess the whole dark egg, lower humidity is a good example, as well as don't believe everything you read!

Some of us won't help chicks hatch while others do. You've already started off showing that you WILL go against the grain and try stuff! :bun

Hope you tag me so I can see your results. There are lot's of hatch alongs that you might join as well. I have unexpectedly sat eggs or planned a cool hatch date like new years. Getting new life is just so much fun! Happy chickeneering. :wee
Thanks so much for that awesome reply! I moved the incubator to the middle of the house, it's no where near windows now and the temp should be more stable. The bathroom I was thinking about putting it in we don't take showers in, so it wouldn't be that bad. Anyway, it's in a better place now.

The incubator looks like this now:
IMG_4081.JPG

That piece of metal is to keep the towels off the vents.

I know I probably shouldn't have, but I candled some of the eggs today. My EE control has a dark yolk and a small air cell is starting to develop (is that normal at this point?) Compared to a fresh refrigerated egg from the same EE, this one is clearly much darker. One of the BCM eggs seems to be developing an air cell also, as for the others I can't tell yet.

I will definitely let you know if they hatch!

It's only day 4, but I see development! The EE egg (control) is definitely developing, and so far it's the easiest egg to candle yet, despite it's blue color (sorry for the blurriness, but can you see the veins and embryo?)
IMG_4085.JPG

I can't see veins or the embryo in the BCM eggs, but some (maybe 5 or 6?) are much darker than before. At this point all have air cells.

can you see the veins and embryo?
I sure can!....pretty cool, eh?

At this point all have air cells.
All eggs have air cells, from the get-go.
They will get bigger as the egg loses moisture..even if not incubating them.
I like to trace air cells with a pencil before setting the eggs(when I candle to look for cracks),
and then at days 7-10-14-18 to help me adjust humidity levels.

1579609120800.png

I sure can!....pretty cool, eh?

All eggs have air cells, from the get-go.
They will get bigger as the egg loses moisture..even if not incubating them.
I like to trace air cells with a pencil before setting the eggs(when I candle to look for cracks),
and then at days 7-10-14-18 to help me adjust humidity levels.

View attachment 2007724
Oh!! I didn't know that. I was concerned that maybe the air cells were developing too soon or something, thanks for clearing that up for me! :) Maybe that's because I only started noticing them on day 7 or so for my broody hatched eggs.

Hi!
Okay, so I'm a little worried now about the EE egg. It was developing nicely, but when I candled it today it looked stuck to one side?! Basically it wouldn't float to the top like it used to. At first it seemed stuck really close to the air cell, then maybe it moved a little or something because then it seemed closer to the middle of the egg. Here are pictures:
IMG_4096.JPG
IMG_4098.JPG

In the first picture I rotated the egg so that the embryo was on top, in the second I turned it so that you can see it on the side. It is not floating to the top like usual. I know it's alive because I can see the heart beating. The turners in the incubator seem to be okay...

One of the BCM eggs, though it was hard to see, seemed to have veins and an embryo as well. But it seemed to close to the aircell! And there were some that seemed to have the same problem of not floating to the top, though it was harder to tell if there were veins.

Hi!
Okay, so I'm a little worried now about the EE egg. It was developing nicely, but when I candled it today it looked stuck to one side?! Basically it wouldn't float to the top like it used to. At first it seemed stuck really close to the air cell, then maybe it moved a little or something because then it seemed closer to the middle of the egg. Here are pictures:
View attachment 2008337View attachment 2008340
In the first picture I rotated the egg so that the embryo was on top, in the second I turned it so that you can see it on the side. It is not floating to the top like usual. I know it's alive because I can see the heart beating. The turners in the incubator seem to be okay...

One of the BCM eggs, though it was hard to see, seemed to have veins and an embryo as well. But it seemed to close to the aircell! And there were some that seemed to have the same problem of not floating to the top, though it was harder to tell if there were veins.

Totally normal.

Back
Top Bottom