Crazy hen?

tiffanya

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
I have a hen who acts like she's broody at times (spends a lot of time in a nesting box, pecks at your hand if you try to gather eggs, etc), but then she'll leave the nesting box and wander around with the rest of the flock again. She is also missing the feathers on her chest but I'm not sure if she has plucked them out or she is molting.

What breed is she? Is she laying when she gets on the nest, or just sitting? I have a couple that do this as well, usually when they go in to lay their egg. I think it's normal for breeds that are not prone to broodiness, and that instinct really isn't as strong as it should be. I think that hatchery stock is more prone to this as well.
Another thing to consider is age. If she's still young, she may not be mature enough to commit to being broody.

I had hen that was doing the same thing! I just took out or cover the nesting box for a week and then she came back to her senses.

She's a BO, which I know are prone to be broody. She is fairly young too, 10 mos. right now. How will laying vs. sitting look on a nest? These are my first chickens.

Back
Top Bottom