Crazy idea!

chickinthebator

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Hi all!
Just thought of a crazy idea!
yippiechickie.gif

Basically, I own a reasonably sized chicken run with a small hut inside for the chickens over night.
This also contains a fence around to prevent the fox coming in, but unfortunately he got one of my chickens
that i had owned for many years, along with others in the past and then and this was the final straw!

I incubated chicks, and while they grow and I incubate some more chicks to join them (due 30th August)
I am planning on an extreme solution!

My plan is to use a moat (much like in all of the castle movies)!

By doing this, the fox will be unable to get under the fence and into the run!

I plan to start building on the 10th, the day after my new eggs go into the incubator, hoping to add to my 3 little chickies that hatched last week.

I feel the plan really could work and will keep you updated on the project!
What do you all think?
woot.gif

(Here is the design)

Foxes swim. Have you tried burying the fence under the ground by about a foot and have the cut end on the wire bent upwards so that the prongs of the wire poke whatever tries to dig in? One of my friends had a few fox attacks, and this has stopped them from getting in. She can see where the foxes have tried to get in but failed. Good luck

This is what we did. We buried 12" patio stones side way in the ground all around the coop and run. It was a lot of work but we feel it was worth it. Many people use a wire apron around the bottom which is less work. I don't think the moat idea will help. We use to have a small pond in our yard that foxes and raccoons were always getting in it. We finally filled it in. Good luck. It's a full time job trying to keep chickens safe.

Back
Top Bottom