crazy little quail

sholmz

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 13, 2013
I bought 77 1-2 day old Butler Quail Monday. This morning they are picking each others nose vent and some are bleeding from their beak. Why are these 5 day old birds doing this and what can be done about it?

Bobwhites need a lot of space. At this age, 77 of them are going to need about 1/4 square foot per bird. By the time they are 6 weeks old, they are going to need 1 square foot per bird. So you need to either give them more space, or use more brooders.

Another thing that makes them turn on each other is too high of heat. Your brooder temp should be 97 degrees. If they still fight at this temp, lower the heat by 2 or 3 degrees, lowering the temp 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks.

Make sure they have easy access to the water and crush up the food a bit so they can eat it.

Good luck!

They are only using about 1/2 of there brooder now. They all stay together near one end. They do have a pretty hot light in there brooder but they don't get under it. They have the freedom to get under it or go to the colder end In the brooder, I would think the temp ranges from a 105 degrees to 80 degrees.

If you are keeping the temp at 105 degrees, not only ARE they going to over heat and die, but they WILL kill each other.

AGAIN....the temp for Bobwhite chicks starts with 97 degrees and is lowered by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks. Use a thermometer that works.

Your temp IS the problem as to why they are attacking each other.

As I said, the temp is 105 under the light bulb, but they don't stay there. They stay to the outside of the circle of the light.

The heat under the lamp is too high, so they are crowding away from it, as such, they are crowding each other and pecking because in their minds "Its too crowded, give me space! Oh hey, its too hot over there, Im staying here! Here its not as hot...Move it buster *peck peck*

If your chicks were a spot pattern on a white wall, then the pattern is all crowded to one side. The pattern needs to be spread out evenly. Right now the high temp is driving them to crowd the lesser temp side and in essence over crowding each other. To get them to spread out more evenly and utilize the space, try raising your bulb up to match the temp of the unlit side. This should cause them to disperse in a more even fashion rather than standing shoulder to shoulder away from the heat.

Last edited:
Brooding chicks need to replicate the environment of a hen brooding her chicks. So there is a science here to get these babies to adulthood without killing them. There are no "ranges" for temps. Momma's brood patch is going to be between 97 and 95 degrees. Always constant and regulated by her body temp. As they age, she adjusts her internal temp to what they need. So you need to duplicate this exact temp.

The temp needs to be measured at quail head height or floor height if it is easier. Your birds are attacking each other because they are too hot. If kept at these high temps, they will die. So you really need to get the temp down to the proper temp. I am not making this temp up in my head. This is THE proper temp to brood chicks. Do not kill these babies with high heat.

So set the temp on the floor beneath this heat lamp to 95 degrees. This will allow the outer edges to be the cool spots. There are no cool spots in your brooder. Don't kill these little babies. Offer them a place to cool off soon or you will lose them all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom