Crazy the pekin will have a friend once again!

Pssh if that guy tried to claim the duck i would fight him. If he is leaving it at a public pond that is him giving it up period. Shouldn't be any legal issues the only thing that is actually illegal would be dumping him there in the first place.
My understanding is that it is, "This guy," who would have legal issues, not you. As animal abandonment is unlawful, and rescuing abandoned domestic ducks should be within the law. But I completely understand not wanting to get caught up in any potential legal drama. Even if you are in the right.
I feel as if you are both right that this guy is in the wrong and I probably would not face legal issues. I will wait a bit longer and see if park management gives me the ok. If not will keep working on getting him and probably rescue him anyway. He has been ok there for a couple of weeks, but I am worried about the temperatures getting lower and the ponds freezing. I will keep trying and let you know. Somebody put a small dog igloo there and I have been feeding him so hopefully he can survive till they reach out.

I feel as if you are both right that this guy is in the wrong and I probably would not face legal issues. I will wait a bit longer and see if park management gives me the ok. If not will keep working on getting him and probably rescue him anyway. He has been ok there for a couple of weeks, but I am worried about the temperatures getting lower and the ponds freezing. I will keep trying and let you know. Somebody put a small dog igloo there and I have been feeding him so hopefully he can survive till they reach out.
Sounds good hopefully they get back to you soon, although I don't know how long I would wait for them before just going and getting him. Hopefully you are able to get him and give him a good life!! Keep us updated as things play out!

Sounds good hopefully they get back to you soon, although I don't know how long I would wait for them before just going and getting him. Hopefully you are able to get him and give him a good life!! Keep us updated as things play out!
I hope so too! I will definitely keep updating my progress. I will probably wait till the end of the week because it is supposed to get colder next week.

Can’t imagine a duck sleeping in an open dog house it would be a trap for sure. I rescued 3 ducks from the mountain river below me all drakes someone didn’t want so they ended up in the river. It’s so sad how critters are just dumped out to fend for themselves. I hope you can get him.

Can’t imagine a duck sleeping in an open dog house it would be a trap for sure. I rescued 3 ducks from the mountain river below me all drakes someone didn’t want so they ended up in the river. It’s so sad how critters are just dumped out to fend for themselves. I hope you can get him.
I’m not sure who put the house, most likely one of my neighbors. I didn’t think about how dangerous it could be for him. I’m really hoping I can get him. That is great that you were able to save the three drakes. I can’t imagine ever dumping an animal to fend for itself. It is really sad. I am grateful that there are people like us out there with big hearts, who want to help them. :)

Some do it because they just don’t want the animal any longer, an a lot of people probably think they can actually fend for themselves or convince themselves they can. Sad thing about domestics as we all know is most can’t fly and haven’t had to ever feed or look after themselves so they have a hard time. My first Muscovy drake also came from the river and before I was able to rescue them there was 3 drakes 1 female only one was still living when I was able to get him. He was with us almost 12 yrs.

Some do it because they just don’t want the animal any longer, an a lot of people probably think they can actually fend for themselves or convince themselves they can. Sad thing about domestics as we all know is most can’t fly and haven’t had to ever feed or look after themselves so they have a hard time. My first Muscovy drake also came from the river and before I was able to rescue them there was 3 drakes 1 female only one was still living when I was able to get him. He was with us almost 12 yrs.
Yes that is true. They just aren’t able to fend for themselves and usually end up succumbing to the environment or elements. :(
Wow. Twelve years old. Sounds like he lived a wonderful life with lots of love. He was lucky you saved him and took great care of him.♥

I haven't been to my pics here on BYC in a while but I see alot of my pics are gone. This is the only picture I have of Ernie now. And that lil duckling is his off spring. Can't really tell how beautiful he was. :(

1609966171233.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom