Crazy the pekin will have a friend once again!

Pics

FunnyfarmMidwest

Call Duck obsessed! 🦆💕
Mar 14, 2020
Some of you may know that one of my beloved pekin ducks was sadly taken by a predator a couple of weeks ago. Her sister, Crazy, who survived the attack has been very lonely since she passed. She has been trying to hang out with the call ducks but they don’t include her and often leave her to go flying. Yesterday I was thankfully able to rescue a crested drake that came from a really bad situation. His eyes are foamy, his poop is runny, and he has an injured wing. Once he is doing better and his quarentine is up I will slowly introduce him to the flock. I will be picking up some more hens soon as I currently only have the one pekin hen and this new drake. Today I will bathe him and get him all cleaned up and post pictures. I am currently treating the eye with terrimycin, and spraying the wing with vetricyn. I am thankful I can help him out. I got to introduce Crazy to him through my sliding glass door and she was really excited. Here are some pictures of Crazy. She is a two year old pekin hen. Crazy has been staying inside with me and getting spoiled so she will not be happy to go back to her house outdoors. :lol: I have gotten some wonderful advice from @Miss Lydia and @Isaac 0 so hopefully the poor little drake has a fast recovery. Crazy will be glad to finally have a friend again!

Attachments

• 8F2F43FD-8ED2-464E-9450-1D72462B736B.jpeg
    8F2F43FD-8ED2-464E-9450-1D72462B736B.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 68CFA7FB-1806-45DB-AD00-F27F65AA6C70.jpeg
    68CFA7FB-1806-45DB-AD00-F27F65AA6C70.jpeg
    570 KB · Views: 10
He was very scared yesterday as he is not used to being handled. I attempted to give him some scratch grains mixed with duck food but he showed little interest. He had never ate duck food prior. Only grains, so I’ll have to work on that. I might attempt to tube feed if he won’t eat. I have been given some good advice on the subject and there are some good articles on here if that is the case. I will see if he is more calmed down today and try again to get him to eat on his own.
Try mealworms, that should be a good way to get him used to being fed by you. Ducks can never resist mealworms.

Thanks for the suggestion! I get off work in a bit and I will definitely try mealworms. I tried ultra kibble yesterday because all my other ducks go crazy for it, but he had no interest at all. :hmm
It might just take him awhile to get used to it. My ducks are always reluctant to try new things so I just leave them out on the ground outside and eventually they try it and decide if they like it or not.

Well done on the rescue!! <3 I'm thrilled Crazy will have friends and that you were able to save someone. I adopted 3 pond rescues almost 6 years ago and I know how challenging and rewarding it can be. My rescues were terrified of me. They ran to the farthest corners of their aviary when they saw me coming. Now they run or, "fly," to my feet quacking with excitement when they see me coming.

I agree that mealworms are your friend. If he won't eat them dry, perhaps try floating them in his water. He may not recognize the dry hollow texture as food. He also may be too anxious to eat when you are watching. If he eats mealworms wet you might be able to get him to eat them dry and crunchy after a couple weeks. Then you can top other foods you want him to eat with mealworms. This might not work for your duck, but it did for mine.

I have also had to tube feed. It can be challenging, but not too bad after you become accustomed to doing it. After a couple weeks I could even do it myself.

You are doing a great job.

I was thinking about that but was worried there might be legal issues. I’m not sure if there would since the duck is domestic though. There is this guy that buys the ducks and “places them” on the park pond. He basically dumps them off then replaces them once they get killed or disappear. I was worried that he might try to claim the duck. I have been feeding the duck in hopes that I can catch it one of these days. I agree that park management probably could care less. :hmm
My understanding is that it is, "This guy," who would have legal issues, not you. As animal abandonment is unlawful, and rescuing abandoned domestic ducks should be within the law. But I completely understand not wanting to get caught up in any potential legal drama. Even if you are in the right.

Some much needed pictures of the little fella! His official name is Pom-Pom. He is doing ok right now and finally eating. Thanks again to @SolarDuck for recommending meal worms. Thanks to everyone that is helping me to get him healthy as well. ♥

@Isaac 0 and @Miss Lydia I so appreciate everything you’ve done to help me out.

I am wrapping his wing tommorow so I’m betting he will be grumpy.:lol:
Hope he continues to improve and does well. Here he is trying to escape the baby gate which thankfully is too tall for him. He keeps hearing Crazy and wants to be by her.

Attachments

• 16B4DAC1-C5D4-462F-A0C1-CAB3447605DE.jpeg
    16B4DAC1-C5D4-462F-A0C1-CAB3447605DE.jpeg
    421.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 178A626C-7D9D-4920-94BC-4F3595F1D3D3.jpeg
    178A626C-7D9D-4920-94BC-4F3595F1D3D3.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 37137646-6A27-440C-95B5-2BBA399B8F16.jpeg
    37137646-6A27-440C-95B5-2BBA399B8F16.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom