Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HaplessRunner, Sep 18, 2013.

1. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Thats a Male, I called it from day one, but hey what do I know about genetics..

2. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Regardless of sex, it's a darned cute little bird! :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Vague is actually heading to a new home tomorrow with the other chicks, I dont want to brood one or two chicks so Vague goes too and a cute little frizzle we were going to keep for breeding :( The winter is really effecting my attitude lol

4. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Has anyone tried a CCL covered by a dark brahma rooster? I am just curious what the outcome would be.

5. Betty1

Betty1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Cornwall, United Kindom
    Would a lavender pekin cockerel x a cream legbar hen still lay blue eggs? would it be auto sexing? Also, would it be bantam or large fowl? I have a broody sitting on some egs and I'm trying to figure out what they'll be like.

6. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi Betty1! Not an expert but in theory, since the hen has one barring gene which will be passed on to her sons and the father is not barred, all of the male chicks should have a white spot on top of their heads whereas the females will not. So possibly sex links but not autosexing. Lavender is a recessive color and so is cream, so best guess is the girls will be mostly black when they mature. If your Cream Legbar is purebred, she will pass one blue egg gene to her offspring but because pekins lay tinted eggs, the combination will make a green egg. In theory.

Be sure to post pictures of the parents and chicks when they hatch!

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Males will look like a barred dark brahma with some salmon red on the shoulders and straw hackles ( salmon develops as the bird ages). The barring will be poor and zonal ( breast, tail and mid-wings), The amount of red and straw color can vary from none to a diluted salmon phenotype. The barring in the hackles will dilute the hackle color- barring will be very poor. It all depends on the amount of hackle black the males will express if the barring is distinct or blurry.

The females will show indistinct penciling- like a poorly penciled dark brahma.

Body size for male and female should be between CCL and brahma, Combs will be a strange looking- a single comb with a pea comb on top. Females will have a small weird looking comb, Blue to green egg layers. Most likely green egg layers.

This all depends upon if the chickens are purebred for the genes they should carry. I am not saying your birds are hybrids- birds even shows birds do not always carry the same genes.

Tim

8. Betty1

Betty1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Cornwall, United Kindom
    Thanks! what's the difference between sex links and auto sexing?

9. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Sexlinks are created by using 2 different breeds that are compatible for a sexlink cross(certain breeds are needed to create a sexlinks, there are many breeds that can do this), the chicks can be sexed at hatched by the color of their down. Sexlinks can only be created in the first generation cross, the sexlink offspring can not pass this trait on to future generations.

Autosexing is where pure breeds have the ability to breed true with each generation and the sexing trait does get passed to all offspring generation after generation.

10. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA
    I posted this earlier in this thread. The link provides and excellent guide for making sex links and provide some explantion.

Some folks have discussed using cream legbars to make sex-links. There is a good article that someone linked for me that provides a wealth of information for those who are interessted in sex link crosses/hybrids.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

The first post int this thread provides a pracitical guide for doing sex link crosses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by