Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HaplessRunner, Sep 18, 2013.

1. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA

You know, Emerald Sexlinks might be a good solution. They are not olive eggers but a light, creamy green.

2. ScrubCreekChick

ScrubCreekChick New Egg

Apr 26, 2013
    Groveton, TX
    Has anyone tried crossing CCLs with Rhodebars? Just curious. What about a CCL roo x a Delaware hen? I read about half of the posts in this thread, so I'm sorry if I'm asking something that was discussed previously.

3. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA
    Rhodebars are a natural autosexing breed similiar to cream legbars. The rooster color pattern is very similar to the LCB rooster with more red. The rhodebar hens likewise are more red and lay brown eggs. My guess is that a cream legbar rooster over a rhodebar hen would result in a color pattern similar to the CLB x Crele pendesca (posted earlier in the thread) but with yellow legs.

The CLB over a Delaware hen may result in sex links (my guess - not sure on that). But I have not heard or seen any of these crosses. Ar you planning these crosses? If so, we would love to see the results!

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I am so bummed I cant find my oac chart anywhere. Hmm I never forget where I put anything so its very strange I cant find it. I got an egg from both my pullets this morn and was going to compare them to the oac but I guess I have some looking to do first.

5. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    A CL roo x Delaware hen should produce sexlinks since the Delaware is silver based.

6. farmhand

farmhand Chillin' With My Peeps

I understand this is not a pen design thread; but I am interested in breeding hybirds and can’t find answers elsewhere. Considering building a series of 4’ x 8’ Rooster/breeder/brooder pens towards this purpose. My questions are;

1. Do roosters thrive if kept in separate pens from other chickens?
    2. Does it make a difference if their separate pen is close to other chickens or not?
    3. How well would it work to keep most hens together and selectively remove a hen(s) from the group and place her with a roster and later return her with the flock of hens?
    Thank you

7. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    My creamsteens give a nice med olive color and her bloom makes it have a gold sheen in the sun

8. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    I was thinking a row of 4'by4' pens would be nice. Putting all my roosters in their own pens. They wouldnt have to be near the hens. And as long as they can all see eachother next to one another they should thrive. You can place hens in with them for a cpl days every few weeks and then take them back to the hen house. Sometimes ive heard its a bit rough placing a hen thats been gone back in with the group. but if your making trios or quads large groups of hens would leave and coming back at the same time might keep the pecking order more intact

9. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Mine are more of an olive green also, they also have a yellowish tone to them.

Creamsteens, haha good one!

10. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by