Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HaplessRunner, Sep 18, 2013.

1. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    Yeah i have the hens

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:did you keep any of the F1 Males of the CLxBarred Cochin cross?

3. CibolaChooks

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    Lol no. I dont have eaither now. My close neighbor has the black male with gold/black hackles and saddles. He had the red feather leakage in his neck. I could let my pullet live there if i got some eggs. This cross has CL tails though and My hens tails are half way to decent on the barred girls. I dont think id ever get their form back to cochin lookin

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    VAGUE 1 Week!

Does the Father CCL be it the sport or reg CCL have any imprinting on this chick at all? It will have pea comb?

Note the leg coloring changing?

Still going with Male?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA
    Sally, not sure about the answer to your question, but you really take awesome pictures!

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    lol tks

7. CibolaChooks

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    im still saying female. Mmmmhhmmm mmhmm. If its a pea comb it wasnt your pure cl or the sport who fathered that chick. What pea comb roos do you have

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

9. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    [​IMG]

10. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Good Morning SS--coming a little late to the party here so sorry if you already got you answer. Short answer is I think this is a boy because 1) it looks like a boy and 2) it looks like it has diluted down and the only dilutor from this mix would be Silver, which is a sex linked gene. I could be off because 1) sometimes girls look boyish and 2) Your hen's genetics are unknown being a mix so I may be making false assumptions on her genetics based on her look.

To elaborate: Your male Cream Legbar is a white sport, but even though he looks white, and even though he carries the dilution color Cream, both of there are recessive so once you cross him with a non-recessive white, non-cream hen, it will be as if you are mating her to a gold (crele looking) male. Ignore his recessive dilution genes as those colors will be hidden in the offspring.

It looks to me like your EE hen is Silver based (as evidenced by her white coloration) so that means she carries one copy of Silver since it is carried on the Z chromosome and girls only have one (1) Z chromosome. Her male offspring are ZZ and her daughters are ZW. The CL father is not a silver based bird so we know the silver did not come from him. So when you bred the s+/s+ boy (gold) to the S/_w girl you will get (by odds) s+/_w x 2 girls and s+/S x2 boys. Because your boy looks diluted to me I am saying he is silver. Now I am assuming that the hen is a wild type under the silver, if she is Wheaten based, all bets are off as I am still trying to figure out what Wheaten does with crosses.

The blue egg gene is on the same chromosome as the pea comb so there has been an assumption that the two are inseparably linked together. Clearly the CL has a straight comb so either one of the original hens he (Punnett) got from South America was a blue egg laying straight combed hen or a mutation happened somewhere along the line when he was doing his experiments.

The lighter spot on your chick's head does support that s/he is the offspring of your CL (or other barred breed if you have one). Both sexes will inherit one copy of the barring gene. The green colored legs are Coming from the hen's side. I don't know the fine details of leg coloration-just the basics, so hopefully a genetics expert can help you out with more details on that one.

I can't wait to see how s/he matures!

ETA: who 'he' (Punnett) is and to share a link to a poultry genetics page with references to which traits are on which chromosomes, if anyone is interested: http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/linkages.html

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by