Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

has anyone discovered what the result would be between a Light Sussex Cock x Cream Legbar Hen?

If someone were to hatch mixed breed eggs where the cream legbar is the male in the equation, then ALL chicks (both genders) could get a head spot (both genders can even also have stripes)whether or not they are male or female since he will pass on one barring gene to ALL his offspring. The head spot may be very tiny or more of a splotch. When you take an auto sexing breed and start to make crosses in most cases they are no longer auto sexing(unless crossed to another auto sexing breed). Certain CL crosses will create sexlinks though.

Thank you for the explanation. I have a legbar roo and have been thinking that I would hatch some of my barred rock eggs so I could have some green eggs in my basket. I am thankful I came across this, otherwise, if they all had the spots on their heads, I would have given them all away thinking they were cockerels.

Thank you for the explanation. I have a legbar roo and have been thinking that I would hatch some of my barred rock eggs so I could have some green eggs in my basket. I am thankful I came across this, otherwise, if they all had the spots on their heads, I would have given them all away thinking they were cockerels.

You could still sex them by the size of the head spot like barred Rock . Since the CCL male is double barred and the hens barred .

Quote: In this case, no. The head spot on my chicks should indicate that the chicks all got the barring gene from the dad. In November I hatched out a bunch of black chicks, half with head spots and half without. ( CCL over Australorps and BCM). The head spot chicks ended up black and white barred, while the no-spot chicks grew up solid black or black with brown neck lacing. There were males and females in both groups, so they were not sex-linked at all.

The head spot sexing only works if you have barred hen (like a CCL or a Barred Rock or maybe a Rhodebar). I'm going to cross my CCL hens with a Wheaten Marans and see what happens.

Remember Lucy? She's the supposedly purebred CCL that is suspectedly not (we think perhaps 1/4 RIR) due to her odd coloring and naivety of the egg sellers as to what they were doing (more like chicken multipliers than breeders). I mean, really, a cinnamon CCL?

She has grown into a very active bird... It's like we cooped a red roadrunner.

Anyway, she laid her first egg! It's the one on the right.
(The one on the left is from a F2 OE, 1/4 CCL x 3/4 BCM)
Any current pics of Lucy? She looks really close to my CCL x RIR. Mine is named "Peach" and is 16 weeks and should hopefully lay in about 4-6 weeks time. Her mother (a RIR) started laying at 21 weeks but if she goes more by Legbar standards, it would be 24. What age did Lucy start laying?

has anyone discovered what the result would be between a Light Sussex Cock x Cream Legbar Hen?

It will produce silver sexlinks. All birds will be based on silver with males having some red show through. Males will be barred, females not. Pattern wise (other than barring) I am thinking you will get a silver version of red quill http://www.cacklehatchery.com/images/ginger_red_hen.jpg

It will produce silver sexlinks. All birds will be based on silver with males having some red show through. Males will be barred, females not. Pattern wise (other than barring) I am thinking you will get a silver version of red quill http://www.cacklehatchery.com/images/ginger_red_hen.jpg
would the same be true with a Silver Sussex Roo over a Legbar hen? The "Silver" in silver sussex confuses me. Is it just a colour variation or gene?

Back
Top Bottom