Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

would the same be true with a Silver Sussex Roo over a Legbar hen? The "Silver" in silver sussex confuses me. Is it just a colour variation or gene? 

I am not positive about the pattern of silver sussex. Aren't they like a birchen looking pattern? Either way, since the male is silver and legbar is barred- cockerels will be silver barred with some red leakage, females will be more black with white showing in the hackle at least. Skin will be white.

I am not positive about the pattern of silver sussex. Aren't they like a birchen looking pattern? Either way, since the male is silver and legbar is barred- cockerels will be silver barred with some red leakage, females will be more black with white showing in the hackle at least. Skin will be white.

Here is a photo that I managed to catch three of my SS in, although the more black one you can't see very well. They've got beautiful patterning to their feathers. Some of the prettiest birds I have.
I don't think they are the colour they are supposed to be and I noticed the breeder is no longer selling these. I have three of six that are mostly black with a salt and pepper head which is what I think is the goal for the silver pattern.
However. This is what I have and am curious as to what these feather patterns would mean.

Here is a photo that I managed to catch three of my SS in, although the more black one you can't see very well. They've got beautiful patterning to their feathers. Some of the prettiest birds I have.
I don't think they are the colour they are supposed to be and I noticed the breeder is no longer selling these. I have three of six that are mostly black with a salt and pepper head which is what I think is the goal for the silver pattern.
However. This is what I have and am curious as to what these feather patterns would mean.

So would you be using these hens with a legbar male? If so, that changes the outcome. A legbar male bred to those hens would produce all barred offspring. They would be sexlinked since these are silver so males would be a smutty leaky silver crele and females would look closer to legbar but will lack some patterning and such

So would you be using these hens with a legbar male? If so, that changes the outcome. A legbar male bred to those hens would produce all barred offspring. They would be sexlinked since these are silver so males would be a smutty leaky silver crele and females would look closer to legbar but will lack some patterning and such

I hadn't thought of doing the Sussex hens to a Legbar Roo as I didn't they they'd be sex linked. I can do both as I have very good males and females of both breeds,
Actually the bird that is facing the camera there is a young Roo,

And the original combination? The Sussex Roo to the Legbar hen would be like the previous post?

Thanks so much for your input on this,

Hi FMP,

could you define "smutty leaky" with regards to a silver crele offspring (of a CL Roo)?
Do you suppose that would be a "tell" for silver if a "non-buttery" CL is mated with a "buttery" CL?

Just posting some pictures of my 17 week old CCL hybrids.

Bowser is CL Rooster x ISA Brown (Red Star) hen
Rosalina is his sister
Peach is CL Rooster x RIR hen

Would appreciate comments and pictures of similar crosses for comparison

First 3 pics are of Bowser

Bowser with half sister Peach

Next 2 pics are of Peach

Next 2 pics are of Rosalina, Bowser's less colorful but full sister

I am waiting to see whether Peach or Rosalina lays a darker shade of green egg and then planning on crossing her with Bowser. Original plan was crossing Bowser with his mother (ISA Brown), however she is not laying since she lost her foot to frost-bite and I am not sure if she will lay again. All comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Just posting some pictures of my 17 week old CCL hybrids.

Bowser is CL Rooster x ISA Brown (Red Star) hen
Rosalina is his sister
Peach is CL Rooster x RIR hen

Would appreciate comments and pictures of similar crosses for comparison

First 3 pics are of Bowser

Bowser with half sister Peach

Next 2 pics are of Peach

Next 2 pics are of Rosalina, Bowser's less colorful but full sister

I am waiting to see whether Peach or Rosalina lays a darker shade of green egg and then planning on crossing her with Bowser. Original plan was crossing Bowser with his mother (ISA Brown), however she is not laying since she lost her foot to frost-bite and I am not sure if she will lay again. All comments/suggestions are appreciated.
Nice!

Do you have eggs yet?

Will a CCL Rooster over a Welsummer hen produce a sex link chick (white spot on male's head)? Does anyone have any pictures of that cross or the color of eggs it produces? I'd think the eggs would be olive?

Thanks,
Deborah

Back
Top Bottom