Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

We all have reasons for doing things the way we do, until we learn the right way. In breeding and genetics the female is always listed first. As I said one reason for this is that the female is known but there are sometimes surprises on the male side. Even so the reasons don't really matter, it is the proper way to list a cross If I go to any scientific journal I know what A x B means.

This is a cross between a cream legbar hen and a white sizzle rooster. I was told earlier that both these chicks are pullets.
this is what she looks like now

Here is my second chick from this cross as both a day old and how she looks now at 7 weeks

Aren't they both so cute? Especially the second one? She has the prettiest frizzled feathers and has such intricate black and white markings on them
Do they lay blue eggs? That would be cool if they did.

I agree, It gets confusing especially for new people. That is how it is done in scientific papers. The first time you spell out a term followed by the abbreviation in parentheses, from then on it is understood.

Apparently it will be difficult to get everyone to list crosses the same way. There is resistance from people who are used to doing it the other way around. I come from a science background. Science likes convention and standardization. People have said that is not how it is done with dogs and possibly horses. I only know what I was taught in my breeding and genetics courses. If for whatever reason every group makes up its own rules it is like creating different languages. What about cat breeders? How do they do it and snakes and ferrets and fish.... ?????
My background is in plant breeding and genetics. I have never run into this issue before. Any other geneticists, professional breeders or professors want to chime in? I really think it would help.

Apparently it will be difficult to get everyone to list crosses the same way. There is resistance from people who are used to doing it the other way around. I come from a science background. Science likes convention and standardization. People have said that is not how it is done with dogs and possibly horses. I only know what I was taught in my breeding and genetics courses. If for whatever reason every group makes up its own rules it is like creating different languages. What about cat breeders? How do they do it and snakes and ferrets and fish.... ?????
My background is in plant breeding and genetics. I have never run into this issue before. Any other geneticists, professional breeders or professors want to chime in? I really think it would help.
Coming from horses, I have always seen the male listed first, and thought that was correct. Not arguing, just find it difficult there isn't a standard way to list it.

My point is that there is a standard way to do it, Perhaps it is only adhered to in the scientific community. It has been awhile since I read any papers dealing with animal genetics but dont remember it being any different. I find it difficult to believe it would be.different than plant plant genetics. It only takes a little stray pollen, or a hen that wasn't isolated quite long enough and you would be following the wrong family lines. I dont want to hijack this tread so I started one on this topic. We can discus it there unless people feel it is relevant here.

My point is that there is a standard way to do it, Perhaps it is only adhered to in the scientific community. It has been awhile since I read any papers dealing with animal genetics but dont remember it being any different. I find it difficult to believe it would be.different than plant plant genetics. It only takes a little stray pollen, or a hen that wasn't isolated quite long enough and you would be following the wrong family lines. I dont want to hijack this tread so I started one on this topic. We can discus it there unless people feel it is relevant here.
Please provide the link to the thread you started on this subject.

Back
Top Bottom