Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Thank you. I appreciate the explanation of the barring genetics. She does look just like a cream legbar so I was surprised by the egg color.
Why do you think the SLW Roo is father? The cockerel in question appears to be developing a pea comb, as do two others (one for sure, see above pic), so I'm thinking the EE is dad of all 3. I do agree the Australorp is not the father of any. I'm now seeing some new hatchlings that are predominantly black so clearly his. However they don't have a spot on the head...not even full Australorps have that. Maybe you're thinking of another breed?
I'll get some new pics of the cockerels tomorrow. Looks like all 3 are barred.so this has been a good learning experience. Wondering if there's a way to tell earlier though, since the barring didn't appear until about 4-5 wks.

I missed that you had an EE male. I was thinking the choices were SLW and Australorp.

The spot on the head is from the barring gene. It comes from the hen but since it is sexlinked is only pasted to her sons. The black down is from the black plumage and comes from the father. If the barred hen is the mother and the chicks are black without the spot on their head they are females.

I missed that you had an EE male. I was thinking the choices were SLW and Australorp.

The spot on the head is from the barring gene. It comes from the hen but since it is sexlinked is only pasted to her sons. The black down is from the black plumage and comes from the father. If the barred hen is the mother and the chicks are black without the spot on their head they are females.
Ahhh I see. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Can a Cream Legbar Roo produce sex-links with any breed besides CCL?

No. They don't create sexlinks when they're bred to cream legbars either, they create a true breeding autosexing pattern. If you bred them ro another breed with the same pattern you'd probably be able to aggressive some level of autosexing, but even crossing lines of purebred legbars can result in ambiguously marked chicks. Autosexing is a trait that has to be selected for.

Can a Cream Legbar Roo produce sex-links with any breed besides CCL?
Cream Legbar Hens can be used to create black sexlinks. They must be breed to a black male. Females will hatch with no head spot and males will hatch with a small head spot.

Note: Sex-links are made by crossing breeds. Autosexing is made by fixing the autosexing down pattern into a pure breed. You can't cross breeds to get autosexing, and you can't fix sexlinks into a pure breed.

I have a few of those!

Carlitta vs Kevin:
3ED7AE0A-5A26-4A1F-BC44-DE148ECAB9E5.jpeg

Kevin:
783CF237-7D7A-43CC-A85F-4EF9DC961BD6.jpeg

Carlitta:
18A647EF-E647-4A31-933B-E8E42643C7B5.jpeg

Thistle:
AA33692F-3077-4005-BB59-2BFC24DFBB39.jpeg

Cream Legbar Hens can be used to create black sexlinks. They must be breed to a black male. Females will hatch with no head spot and males will hatch with a small head spot.

Note: Sex-links are made by crossing breeds. Autosexing is made by fixing the autosexing down pattern into a pure breed. You can't cross breeds to get autosexing, and you can't fix sexlinks into a pure breed.
Thank you. I am hatching CCL eggs and right now have all hens. The only roo I will have if any is a CCL so they’ll be Easter Egger mixes but no sex-links. Thank you!

Here are our Cream Legbar crosses. The mothers were CLB and the father RIR.

In the first generation the hens were red with slight feather patterning and black tails, and laid light brown eggs. The roosters were red barred with black tails, and some with black on the chest and upper back.

I think these were about 5 months here.

Attachments

• IMG_20210407_164010-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210407_164010-01.jpeg
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210408_163420-01-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210408_163420-01-01.jpeg
    647.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210407_163905-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210407_163905-01.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210311_191203-03.jpeg