Cream legbar traits

Saraalexis17

Chirping
Sep 6, 2021
hi all.
We just brought home these cream legbars. We were told the very light one is a male, rest are female. I’m confused about two with a white dot on the head though…..is that not a male trait in legbars? Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• 8DC75D0F-5E2F-464D-9FE4-47E12A901507.jpeg
    8DC75D0F-5E2F-464D-9FE4-47E12A901507.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 45
Since all cream legbars are barred I don't see why you wouldn't sometimes see the head spot on a female. Overall the appearance, defined eye stripe and dark defined chipmunk markings look like you would expect to see on a pullet. just the odd headspot.
The cockerel is a nice example of what a autosexing male should look like. A lot of breeders around me don't breed for it so it's almost as if they are loosing one of the most important traits of the breed

Since all cream legbars are barred I don't see why you wouldn't sometimes see the head spot on a female. Overall the appearance, defined eye stripe and dark defined chipmunk markings look like you would expect to see on a pullet. just the odd headspot.
The cockerel is a nice example of what a autosexing male should look like. A lot of breeders around me don't breed for it so it's almost as if they are loosing one of the most important traits of the breed
I was shocked to see how light the male was. When you research what’s available online it mentions a slight color difference but not that striking. Thanks so much for your input on the dot!

Hi, I am new to this site and learning so much! Got my mixed flock last April.
I am curious how those 2 questionable ones are turning out, roo or hen?
I have a Cream Legbar Roo, 2 blackstar hens and 2 Rhode Reds. Just hatched 4 babies (2 RIR and 2 BS). Since Blackstars are Sex-link chickens too, I believe my to little blackies with a white spot on head (little skunks) are boys. Lawd help me!!! LOL
My other 2, from my RIR look different. If sex-link feature came through (????) I believe for certain the one I am holding in my hand is a girl, skunk like feature, but this second one on towel with Baby BS, doesn't have as distinct of markings. they are still too little to check feathers and butt, I'll try that tomorrow. they just hatched last night! Any thoughts on my redheads?

Attachments

• 20230323_232800.jpg
    20230323_232800.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230324_002632.jpg
    20230324_002632.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 17
Those crosses won't produce sexable chicks.
All chicks will get one barring gene so headspots won't indicate sex.
Curious what looking at their butts is gonna tell you? :lau

Oh wow, yeah, that is what I am learning in doing my reading! so back to drawing board on the sexes....
Youtube has a couple sexing videos to show you how to spot a little bubble in the booty, which is VERY hard to see, and if I can see it, then its a boy! They say takes practice! I think I will try to do the feather method and neck method to hopefully know that way...I mean, it doesn't matter right now, but once I know, I have to decide who I am keeping for the pot and who gets to be my next daddy. Current daddy has to go.

Yeah I wouldn't try vent sexing. It does take practice and you can injure chicks trying it.
What's the feather method and the neck method?
Is the neck method the dangling them and seeing what they do with their legs? I don't put any faith in the accuracy of that but you can try it.
Feather sexing going by their wing feathers? That works by the sex linked feather growth genes. You have to breed a fast Feathering male to a slow Feathering female and then check from 1 to 3 days old. Your cross may actually be correct for that to work. Try that one and see.
And while you're at it you can try my favorite method angry wing sexing.

Back
Top Bottom