Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Hey all...okay, so over whelmed by LBs now.
Could you all, or one or two of you, pick out the pic of the best roo and hen? Or two, if one is better color and one better conformation.
At this rate, I will spend so much time looking at pics, I will not have time to paint.
I did find my painting table, under all the sewing stuff. And I have paper ready.

I will have my own two chick models this weekend. Yeah! My first ones!

And do you all know about the auto-sexing egg swap thread? We are swapping LBs now, I think my offer is the one up now. But I look forward to offering my Jaerhons, Hambars and Gold Cuckoo Marans too.

Thanks! can't wait for pics, so I can start painting.

Hey all...okay, so over whelmed by LBs now.
Could you all, or one or two of you, pick out the pic of the best roo and hen? Or two, if one is better color and one better conformation.
At this rate, I will spend so much time looking at pics, I will not have time to paint.
I did find my painting table, under all the sewing stuff. And I have paper ready.

I will have my own two chick models this weekend. Yeah! My first ones!

And do you all know about the auto-sexing egg swap thread? We are swapping LBs now, I think my offer is the one up now. But I look forward to offering my Jaerhons, Hambars and Gold Cuckoo Marans too.

Thanks! can't wait for pics, so I can start painting.

I think it might even be best to mix and match parts! A comb from one rooster, a tail from another, and color from another. I believe the goal is to make an ideal Cream Legbar. I am not that experienced but I will start looking through pictures to help!

My CLB eggs hatched this weekend!  There is one chick that I am not sure whether or not it is a hen or roo.  It has the very dark striping, but it seems to have a little bit of white on the head.  Then there are four other definite cockerels.  I've marked the two with the best headspots to watch for as breeders.  There are also four pullets, one of them which has really bad splay leg.  If she makes it I will not use her for breeding.  I am so excited!

Congratulations! Can you post pictures of your little cuties for us to ooh and ahh over and also to see the one with the boy/girl question?

My CLB eggs hatched this weekend! There is one chick that I am not sure whether or not it is a hen or roo. It has the very dark striping, but it seems to have a little bit of white on the head. Then there are four other definite cockerels. I've marked the two with the best headspots to watch for as breeders. There are also four pullets, one of them which has really bad splay leg. If she makes it I will not use her for breeding. I am so excited!

Congratulations! Sounds like Questionable is a girl, especially if she has dark eyeliner. Can't wait to see your babies! btw, have you tried to fix the splay leg with baby rubber bands and upped the vitamins (one with Niacin)?

As soon as I can figure out how to get pics on here I'll post some. :D

I've tried really hard to correct the splay leg. I've managed to fix the curled toes, but the chick just wants to point her legs straight back and out to the sides. Taping and banding hasn't improved anything. She also doesn't seem like she's "all there" in the cognitive department. I haven't given up on her, I'll keep trying.

Here is a group shot of these little ones. They were spunky today, I couldn't get them to sit still!

The second picture has the one I'm not sure whether or not it is male or female. It's the one in the middle. The striping is dark like the females, but there is a tinge of white on the head.

Unfortunately the little splay leg girl died this morning. It was probably the best thing for her.

Last edited:
Huge hugs LoneStar! I had a baby Silkie with leg issues that didn't make it and we balled that whole day...

Questionable is 100% a girl. Boys should be faded out and have a larger headspot. Girls are currently allowed a small headspot, and I'm not even sure I would call Questionable's lightening a real headspot. There are many of us who want to eventually eradicate the headspot on girls (tangent - the plan originally designed by Punnett and Pease, anytime Legbar is mentioned they meant gold, because they clearly identified Silver Legbar when they meant Silver Legbar - thus they wanted the chicks to look like Gold Legbar chicks -no headspot on girls- and the adults to look like Silver Legbars), but as long as we keep the autosexing features strong, that's what is important.

Yay! That means I have 5 pullets and 3 cockerels! Should I hold out miss questionable from my eventual breeding program? Will that tinge of white be a heritable trait? I've got two cockerels that have fantastic defined head spots that I am going to band and hopefully they will have good confirmation as adults for breeding.

Oh, and I see that you're the Southern Region Director of the CLB Club. I went to the web site, but I couldn't figure out how to join. Is the club taking memberships?

Last edited:
I agree, definitely a girl, and I would not keep her from a breeding program, either. Plus we are still getting a handle on the "cream" gene and I would raise up ALL your females and make sure they are cream hackled before I chose anyone to keep out of a breeding program. You might band her just in case this becomes a make or break point later though.

Rinda

Back
Top Bottom