Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

The Black Copper Marans were accepted into the APA a year and a half ago shortly followed by the Wheaten Marans. The Cuckoo Marans variety was the next variety the Marans Club was going to work on getting accepted into the APA. I talked to a Marans Breed at the Poultry Show I attended on Saturday who was on the Cuckoo Standards Committee and he told me that the Cuckoos were NOT going to make it as a recognized variety by the APA. He said that most of the Cuckoo Marans lines have clean shanks. The breed standard that was accepted for the Black Copper Marans and Wheaten Marans was for a feathered shanked bird. Since lots o people with the Cuckoo variety prefer the clean shanks they are going to leave the Cuckoos out of APA since it doesn't have the required 50% or better conformance to the breed standard. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can either meet the breed standard and get APA recognition, or you can breed to what you like and NOT be an APA recognized breed.

Since the Cream , Gold, and Silver varieties already exist, APA is not going to accept them into an American standard if they are not the same breed as the British shandard defines. APA doesn not allow breeders to redefine something that already exists. We are working to get the cream variety to conform to the written breed standard over the next five years. After than I could see recognition for the white variety coming next since breeders are already working on it. The Gold and Silver varieties will probably end up like the Cuckoo Marans. They will still be around because that is what people like, but they will probably not be accepted into an APA standard since the Gold and Silver colors already exist with written standards for non-crested and white egg laying. We are not creating new breeds, just working on a breed that already exists. For APA to recognize the Gold and Silver varieties in North America they will likely have to be non-crested birds that produce white eggs, just like the Cream varriety will have to have cream plumage, cresting, and produce blue eggs.

Last edited:
I have thought this myself. I would love to see several color variants adopted. My suggestion is that instead of Gold Cream Legbar (as you pointed out, its already used for a different breed with different characteristics), that the descriptor should be unique such as Ginger-Cream Legbar or perhaps Chestnut-Cream Legbar. In doing research on English websites, I have seen the darker girls referred to as having too much 'ginger' or 'ginger instead of salmon', so this seems like it would be fitting given their English origins.
I can see where you are pretty overwhelmed with trying to get this breed into the APA. I think ChicKat had mentioned that you had to get only one color varient through to start then add others into that category. Maybe she really said that you all were only working on the Cream and that the others might get worked on later and I mis-understood. Perhaps if there is a desire to add the others, a sub-commiitte could be formed at some point to work on that so that it would not be the burden of the core group that is working so hard on the original color. It is important that htis first step be taken and that it is done right! I am with LAFreeChicks thouhg, that I would hate to lose valuable genetics for want of a specific color.
Y'know dretd, I think maybe you are a genius. ;O) ----

Yes, as I understand it the APA doesn't accept multiple colorations at a time, I could be mistaken, and fortunately the club has an APA member who is a Chairman of the breed acceptance committee--as well as being busy judging... So we do have access to the best advice. The club will align behind the coloration that has recently won in the UK, and Jill Rees (also a Club member) breeds to that light coloration for her females with what I refer to as the bouffant crests. Never-the-less there are white Cream Legbars that lay blue eggs, and the ginger-cream legbars that a number of people will prefer. At some future point would they be presented for APA acceptance - I guess that is years into the future.

I think both lonnyandrinda and GaryDean26 have provided good explanations and several people have said something to the effect 'don't do what the Marans Club did' -- the only idea I have regarding this is that some people preferred the feathered shanks for Marans, and some preferred clean shanks -- and of course the APA would not accept both. Feathered won out, and that is a match to the French origins.

For my part, I would like a dark egg layer, but I wouldn't want a feathered shank -- Since the Marans Club has decided to discontinue work on obtaining acceptance for the cuckoo pattern Marans, what I heard was because they tend toward clean shanks...then there may be a lot of nice cuckoo Marans on the market as breeders who want APA recognition divest of birds that won't be admitted. That is the Marans I would want.

People who love the white Cream Legbars - (and has anyone had a pair that bred and produced white babies? Haven't heard the results of white pairings that I recall)--- may at some point IMO be admitted to the APA as a color variation. For the Ginger-Cream Legbars - we know that those breed true. They would differ from Gold Legbars in that their eggs would be blue and they would have crests. -- hmmmmm Of course the club efforts will be behind the lighter birds, but for those who prefer the whites or the gingers---perhaps a subcommittee should be formed so people could network and have genetic diversity and work toward the traits that they want for their flock.

MARANS CLUB - eta - at the San Marcos, TX Fancy Feathers 4H show--- I have to say that the Marans club had an awesome display, and they were kind of off-the-charts professional IMO. I have nothing but admiration for the people that are in the Maran's club. (Hope it didn't sound otherwise above)---

ETA -- no, I think maybe chestnut-cream is better than ginger-cream (although it does sound like a selection from a dessert menu)>

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom