Cream Legbars with peacombs

ManWithChicks

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
Hi, I hatched what were supposedly "Cream" Legbars about 6 months ago. 3 of the 5 females have peacombs, and this breed is not supposed to have them.
Are peacombs something that could even come up in pure legbars? Can I breed these and get chicks without peacombs?

Is there a good site talking about genetics of chickens and what is domanint, recessive, multiple genes, etc?

I ask because my hens with peacombs do have traits I want, such as the cream coloration, where as my current pair of hens with single combs are way darker. Also egg color considerations, since i expect that most will lay green tinted eggs based off the eggs I hatched them from.

Maybe I should have done more research before I posted this, but Ive been trying to figure out where this info is and I just cant find a good source for it, assuming it exists.

They have to be mixed breed's for them to have the peacomb's.

Are you familiar with this breed?
Im curious if you know which general traits are truly recessive off the top of your head?

Basically, can they all look mostly like Cream Legbars with a completely different father? Is there one trait they would all lose assuming a father with dominate traits?

I have one that I believe looks damn near perfect minus her color, which looks much more Golden Crele.

My rooster looks like a 50% gold, but otherwise almost perfect with a very slight bend in crown.

Hi, I hatched what were supposedly "Cream" Legbars about 6 months ago. 3 of the 5 females have peacombs, and this breed is not supposed to have them.
Are peacombs something that could even come up in pure legbars? Can I breed these and get chicks without peacombs?

Is there a good site talking about genetics of chickens and what is dominant, recessive, multiple genes, etc?

I ask because my hens with peacombs do have traits I want, such as the cream coloration, where as my current pair of hens with single combs are way darker. Also egg color considerations, since i expect that most will lay green tinted eggs based off the eggs I hatched them from.

Maybe I should have done more research before I posted this, but Ive been trying to figure out where this info is and I just cant find a good source for it, assuming it exists.
Pure Cream Legbars have a single comb which is recessive to any other type of comb. If it is truly a pea comb, they are likely Easter Egg crosses and are not Cream Legbars.

Pea combs are dominant to any other comb style except for Rose comb which is equally dominant. It only takes one Pea comb gene for the pea comb to be displayed. If the pea comb is heterozygous (Pp), breeding a pea comb hen (Pp) with a Pea comb (Pp) rooster can produce 25% homozygous Pea comb (PP), 50% heterozygous Pea comb (Pp) and 25% homozygous Single comb (pp).

Breeding a Single comb (pp) hen and rooster together will only produce Single comb (pp) offspring because Single combs are recessive and require two copies of the Single comb gene for the trait to be displayed.

I am breeding for Rose Comb Legbars which is why I question if they are actually Pea combs. Rose combs like Pea combs are a dominant trait and only require one Rose comb gene to be present for the trait to be displayed.

Interesting and informative, thanks @R2elk I bred my pea combed (Pp?) rooster (AmeraucanaXMarans) to some single comb red layer hens and a single Columbian Rock. Most of the offspring were 50/50 pea/single comb, the pea comb was quite dominant in the crossing with the Rock, with the 2/10 single comb being the rarity in those birds (she also sadly throws 100% cockerels) They are otherwise 50/50 Olive green/brown egg layers for the pullets, with the green being more common in buff offspring and those with grey/blueish legs.

Interesting and informative, thanks @R2elk I bred my pea combed (Pp?) rooster (AmeraucanaXMarans) to some single comb red layer hens and a single Columbian Rock. Most of the offspring were 50/50 pea/single comb, the pea comb was quite dominant in the crossing with the Rock, with the 2/10 single comb being the rarity in those birds (she also sadly throws 100% cockerels) They are otherwise 50/50 Olive green/brown egg layers for the pullets, with the green being more common in buff offspring and those with grey/blueish legs.
When you get skewed results like that, it can be due to insufficient quantities being hatched or to some lethal gene combination that causes some of the expected types to not hatch.

Pure Cream Legbars have a single comb which is recessive to any other type of comb. If it is truly a pea comb, they are likely Easter Egg crosses and are not Cream Legbars.

Pea combs are dominant to any other comb style except for Rose comb which is equally dominant. It only takes one Pea comb gene for the pea comb to be displayed. If the pea comb is heterozygous (Pp), breeding a pea comb hen (Pp) with a Pea comb (Pp) rooster can produce 25% homozygous Pea comb (PP), 50% heterozygous Pea comb (Pp) and 25% homozygous Single comb (pp).

Breeding a Single comb (pp) hen and rooster together will only produce Single comb (pp) offspring because Single combs are recessive and require two copies of the Single comb gene for the trait to be displayed.

I am breeding for Rose Comb Legbars which is why I question if they are actually Pea combs. Rose combs like Pea combs are a dominant trait and only require one Rose comb gene to be present for the trait to be displayed.

Looking at more examples it may not be peacombs they have. It looks closer to rose combs, although not like the examples I see on the "combs" threads.

Let me show you guys this photo, maybe you can judge
20200103_153107.jpg

20200106_001800.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at more examples it may not be peacombs they have. It looks closer to rose combs, although not like the examples I see on the "combs" threads.

Let me show you guys this photo, maybe you can judge
View attachment 1995507
View attachment 1995509
Those are not Pea combs. They look very similar to some of my Rose combs. There is a lot going on with combs that is not common knowledge. When dealing with heterozygous combs, there apparently a number of modifiers that can prevent them from looking exactly like we expect them to look. Big crests definitely cause a modification to any type of comb.

Hers is a pullet and cockerel of my Rose Comb Legbars
full

Thanks for all your help and explanations! Really gave me something to get started on and I understand it a lot better now.
I love the hen color in the photo, and that comb looks way more manageable on the ccockrel.

Here is a photo with my single boy. The pullet in the front is the weirdest of the bunch
20200106_021313.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, he is a Cream Legbar. I have one that looks just like him. I do have hens with the small crest like hers, to me it indicates that she is only carrying one crested gene. Crested is a dominant gene requiring only one copy of the gene for it to be displayed.

Back
Top Bottom