Cream Legbars

You really should call it red duckwing to avoid confusion with Golden Duckwing in the SOP. Which is a male with silver and gold . BB Red and light brown are different expressions of the same red wild type . So in Old English game crele is BB red + barring . The Legbar is Light brown + barring + cream .

Duckwing is the contrasting color of the secondaries  in mid lower wing . You are confusing red shoulders (autosomal red ) with duckwing . Let me see what I can find in the way of pictures to help .
thank you
1f603.png

Ok I tried to circle some areas . The shoulder area is circled in yellow . This is autosomal red . It is not sex linked and can show on red , silver and Golden males . A fault on silver males but required on Salmon colored males as in Faverole . I used red on the duckwing area but it is hard to see . It is the color on the wing below the red area .

These are brown reds . The male has a golden shoulder but all black below . So crow wing .
This is a silver male . No red shoulder . Contrasting silver in lower wing = duckwing .

Here is a cool example -- that reinforces what Jerryse said:

Silver duckwing Welsumers -- for sale in UK I think it is - here's link:http://imgur.com/VrNft.jpg from google

Notice the silver hackles and rich salmon breast in the females. Salmon breast is one sign of duckwing. --
Now for the male -- See that his wing triangle is white -- white wing triangle indicates silver..... brown (gold) wing triangle indicates a gold duckwing. Bantambird -- if I called gold 'golden' in some of my earlier posts---- then -- opps sorry - my bad.
hide.gif

the chart that I did - oh so long ago.
hmm.png
did show a silver crele, a gold crele -- and then photoshop combinations of the possible dilution of gold that I projected that the ig (dilution of gold) gene would/could produce based upon it's expression -- (e.g. strength) The Crele Leghorn images would have the same plumagepattern influencers (less ig of course) that CLs have -- that is duckwing (aka wild type -- e+ on the E-Locus) and barring - that CLs would have.

It sounds like duluthralphie is on to something with is discussion with the judge...that a bird true to it's e+ would show the duckwing --- BTW I consider the whole thing -- the different wing triangle and the bar above it as the duckwing -- not just the wing triagle. (helps keep it unconfusable from crow wing mebbe?
sickbyc.gif
)

Here is a true gold duckwing in illustration that shows the babies (aww so cute chicklets! ) You can notice the brown wing triangle---
004fig020%20livorno%20crele.jpg

Here is a silver by the same artist
LL

Especially in the silver the bar that separates the triangle is well illustrated.

remember that ig is supposed to dilute gold to cream IMO -- not totally eradicate gold -- although that seems to the the direction that the pendulum has swung.
frow.gif

Last edited:
I got this bird photo off the British breed club site awhile ago where he is used as the ideal British Cream Legbar color for a Rooster. I see the duckwing coloring (at least on a couple feathers) but he has zero chestnut anywhere (which I personally like this bird I don't like the chestnut patches on the chest/body)

This is not correct per the US SOP??

Last edited:
I got this bird photo off the British breed club site awhile ago where he is used as the ideal British Cream Legbar color for a Rooster. I see the duckwing coloring (at least on a couple feathers) but he has zero chestnut anywhere (which I personally like this bird I don't like the chestnut patches on the chest/body)

Here are my personal thoughts on the cream color . I am sure the SOP will go with this color in mind . However it was once thought cream would be a true breeding golden duckwing . That is a male both silver and gold . This would replace golden duckwing . Few breed golden duckwing anymore . Now we are going for a silver crele look . Once the red shoulders are gone and all traces of creamy straw color in males you have the look of silver . So I think we will be forgetting what Punnet was trying for . He wanted to prove blue eggs could go with a single comb . He chose cream I think because it was a unique gene . Barring for auto sexing and crest well why not . I think he was having fun and perhaps tweaking the nose of other genetic minded people . IMO he was after a good layer of blue eggs that anyone could sex . Doing genetic impossibles I think was entertaining for him .

OK, so here is why I REALLY hope that the US SOP ends up allowing for several different color varieties for CLs. I personally do not like this bird aesthetically at all - looks like some washed out poorly barred version of a PBR to my eyes. I find the more colorful versions much more appealing (and I know others do as well):

Then again, @rottlady really likes this bird - and obviously a lot of other folks do as well for it to be the "ideal" British SOP cock bird. And there are a lot of both types of birds around, it seems. I'd like for there to be room to appreciate both.

- Ant Farm

Here is the wing out on my lighter roo run. And the back and neck. That birchen pic is my roo Jake
1f60a.png

I am pretty sure he is going through a partial molt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom