Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Congratulations DA! I hope you have a great hatch!

2. blackbirds13

blackbirds13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
  3. Chick Swing

Chick Swing Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Columbia MO
    Yeah![​IMG].. Congratulations!

My CL Roo is still working on his Doodle, He is so proud of him self....Sure hope he has a beautiful Doodle. My othe two roosters of differnt breeds both have beautiful crows. Are Cl known for nice crows or is it an individual thing?

4. blackbirds13

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    Thanks K, a second opinion is really helpful whether positive of negative. I do like pink band also (there he's named 'Pinky"). He actually was in my cull pen for a bit. I had banded him because I was still watching him. When I went to make the 'final cut' in there I took a good look at him and realized he was a keeper for sure so he's in the bachelor pen. The others just had flaws I did not want to carry forward or just were not up to where these three are, even though these boys all have some real issues. I will make one more cut I think since I won't be keeping the eldest boy in there. I'm happy with the coloring I have so far, not perfect but better than their sires and they seem larger which is nice; and all I really hope for is just a bit of improvement each year. I'd love to do one or two more hatches this year but with winter just on the horizon I'll have to wait till next spring since I only brood outdoors after the first week as I hate having chicks in the house - the dust and smell are too much for me and I turn into a wacko trying to clean up daily.
    I would love to keep the 3 Cream boys in there (and Macbeth maybe), all 3 Marans (but I'd keep just the 2 Splash if it came down to it) and the White Sport Legbar. Not sure if the hubby is in for 7 or 8 roosters overwinter.... guess we'll find out.

5. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    I really like the dark ones tail. I think it has allot of potential .I like that the base is small

6. blackbirds13

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire

7. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    The cream gene only affects red, not black. Your boy doesn't look too dark to me, at least on my computer screen. Usually the barring is darker when the cock (and all hens) carry one barring gene -- which shouldn't occur with a purebred CCL cockerel.

8. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hey Tru---

If a CL cockerel only had one barring gene - the chicks wouldn't be autosexing would they?

9. blackbirds13

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire

10. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Can I ask why you made this statement? Any reading material would be greatly appreciated. In my limited research on the diluting effects of ig, I learned that cream is incapable of diluting red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by