Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    No, I've heard its good.

I looked up van Dort's book and it is available here: http://www.chickencolours.com/pagina4.html for the low price of maybe 75 Euro~$100. They do list an American contact, so someone may have imported several books for resale. My University's inter-library loan system only had one hit--in Brisbane, AU.

I also have heard good things about Poultry Breeding and Genetics by Roy D. Crawford (a mere $685 on Amazon through the marketplace) Anyone have/read this one?

So not so much for me. The APA SOP is higher priority in my budget right now. Buy hatching egg or buy books. The eternal debate.

2. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA

The Crawford book is a great -- I'd say fantastic -- resource. I borrowed it from my library and because of legal issues didn't even consider photocopying a chapter or two. (Cough.)

It looks like a big, plain textbook. I can't believe there isn't a university somewhere with stacks of used copies.

3. lualshannon

lualshannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Sonoma County, Ca.
    I am new to your thread, and wanted to share some photos of my CLs. I am enchanted by these delightful birds

Lual

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks for sharing pics! I can't wait to see how that crest grows out [​IMG]

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Very cool pictures...are the second and 4th ones on your artist easel. Ahh yes someday you will make great art with the Cream Legbar as the subject - I just know it. Welcome to the thread(s)

6. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    I have Sigrid's book. The reason it is so pricey is 1) exchange rate from euros is not favorable to the dollar, 2) the entire book is printed on quality gloss paper and contains color photos on almost every page (excluding index and some charts at the end) To me that is invaluable when studying color genetics. It is also fairly easy to understand given the complexity of the subject.

That "textbook" sounds interesting too. I'll have to check with out extension office to see if any of the land grant colleges have it available for loan. $685 is WAY out of my budget.

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I might bump Sigrid's to #2 position. The SOP is still #1. Gotta have that one.

My local U does list the Crawford book in the basement of the library, I just need to brave going on to campus with all the students to check it out. Rather daunting task as the parking is abysmal. I just prefer owning reference books so I can study them whenever the mood strikes, which is usually after everyone has gone to bed and its quiet.

As for Sigrid's book--where did you purchase it? For a book with lots of photos $100 is not all that bad--its just I need to adhere to a budget. My son started College the year and he had sticker shock when he saw the prices of the texts--probably $200 average per book. Welcome to the real world, honey. Its amazing how much more frugal he's become now that he has fork over the cold, hard cash for things.

8. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Wow I just realized that I have this book.I have had it for years.A great book.Plus I did not pay the current price.It must be out of print.Mine is a second printing 1993.

9. lualshannon

lualshannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Sonoma County, Ca.

You are welcome! The photos were taken about a month ago; will post some recent ones when I am able to photograph them. Unlike my other birds, CLs are constantly on the fast move, and I have a big collection of photos showing only small part of their body; well, mostly tails, or just the background..

Thank you! Yes, you are correct, they were perched on my easel in the studio. They feel at ease in there because I keep the chick brooder in my studio, and they are very familiar with it. You guessed it right : ) some of my birds will be models for several of my future art work : )

10. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    It's official...we're signed up for the Sandlapper Poultry Breeders' The Low Country Classic Show on Saturday! I entered Grey in the Open Show and my daughter is showing a Barnevelder pullet in the Junior Show. It was funny, and I kind of had to bite my tongue when the show secretary asked me, "You can show them, but you know Legbars aren't a pure breed, right?" I said, "Yes, I know they aren't accepted into the APA yet, but they will be in the English Class, thank you." [​IMG]

Bath time tomorrow...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by