Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Very exciting for you and your daughter. I hope you can take some pics to share with us. And I cant wait to hear all the show/judging details. Id love to see some pics of the birds getting ready for show if you take any.

Good Luck to both of you!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    I was wondering to all those that show. When you get back from shows, you all quarantine right? Does that ever effect the flock as a whole or cause too much stress on the bird being transported and later quarantined. What if a single bird was shown, how well does the single bird do in quarantine alone? Sorry for the random questions I was just curious.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

X2 - so excited for you .... hope everything goes really well!
    [​IMG]

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Here is a link to a chapter from Grant Brereton's new book --

http://www.gbpoultry.com/Info_files/11 On Reflection.pdf

Look at those de-briefing pens -- are they cool or what?

Here is a link to the book and he has shared several other chapters - the one about 12 o'clock is interesting too

http://www.gbpoultry.com/Info.html

- I think that Gail Damerow calls it "Bloom" in her writing about showing -- there is that period of time when your chicken will look and be stunning - - the trick is to align that time period with the show.

5. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Thank you for those links. They are great.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Best of luck to you !

7. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    In general there are two schools of thought...1) Quarantine for 1-4+ weeks for any signs of illness or pestilence picked up at the show. Or 2) Upon arrival if they look/act ok (some shows are VERY stressful on birds, and those will show signs of not being active) throw them back in with the others. If there is illness, then resistance will show itself or be produced by the birds who do not get sick or show the least signs of illness.

I'm a little nervous about the single bird thing, since I've had bad experiences reintroducing a hen. But the little pullet will go back to her yard flock, so there is plenty of room to get away if she needs to. And Grey has been in and out of the training cage for the past week without problems.

Thank you everyone for the good wishes!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  8. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO

9. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Wow I would feel really comfortable after a show like the one you described Dr. E!

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

That is what I do when I bring in a new chicken, only I usually pick a chicken I will not mind culling if things go wrong. I always seem to have a chicken or two hanging around that I don't really need.
    n

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by